Headstock Tuner review by Planet Waves

Planet Waves: Headstock Tuner

As far as tuning goes this thing is pretty much dead on accurate all the time, especially with bass and Acoustic guitars where the body is meant to vibrate a lot. And the fact that its chromatic makes changing to alternate tunings mid set, or tuning your guitar down a half step easy easy.

I'm buying this item as a stocking stuffer for every guitar player I know this year (and maybe another for myself since the bass player in my band keeps stealing mine). For the price this is perhaps one of the most useful pieces of equipment I have ever had.

I've been using this for almost three months and I haven't even needed to change the battery yet. I've dropped it several times and its fine. I keep it in a pocket of my equipment bag (which takes a good tumble in the back of the van every now and again) and it has yet to falter in its performance.

You just clip this little guy on your headstock and turn it on... it does the rest. The LED lights let you use it pretty much anywhere. I can't imagine tuning actually getting any easier. I run my guitar straight into my amp and turn the volume down when I want to tune.

mooncow67
    that looks much better than the old "plug your guitsr into this and maybe it'll work" tuners, I hate mine
    NemX162
    Cool review, I'm definitely thinking of buying one. Next time maybe mention how much you paid though.
    howamidriving?
    theres a bunch of these little fellas out there...they usually run about $20. they work really well if youre not in a real noisy place
    Fridge101
    Man these tuners have been around forever and people are just commenting now? anywho.... ive used the plaent waves one and its realy good for its money.
    CLIFF_BURTON
    Nothing new, I've seen tuners like this one attached to upright basses, cellos, and violins like 10+ years ago.
    f1sk
    awesome, there are some out there that work for any instrument, it is particularly helpful if you are in a room full of people or other guitars, maybe with an acoustic, or if you don't have a tuning pedal
    Darkblast
    I've got a tuner like that but it can only tune in standard tuning... The fact that it can be set to any chromatic note is extremely helpful
    alex94kumar
    i have this tuner, i picked it up for 20 bucks at Sweetwater's Gearfest 2011. it works perfectly, i tune on stage in a very noisy environment with it, and it works perfectly
    kaicho8888
    Pros: compact low profile and easy to use Cons: I've got three, and used them for over a year...battery life is exactly 2 months at $5 each. Very poor battery life!