Rat 2 review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Rat 2

Purchased from: GAK

I am currently using a Tanglewood TSE 605 ith this as well as a Vox AD30VT amp. The rat gives me a more diverse range in sounds with the Vox but it may work better with a tube amp. Also, it is better used as a stand alone pedal instead of a boost to another distortion. If you use it to boost, expect a lot of feeback, and I mean a lot! I mostly play stuff by artists such as graham coxon, Radiohead, Muse and Foo Fighters when using this pedal and I find that it nails each one when you find the right setting. With a lot of distortion and bass you get a fuzzy Muse 'new born' kind of sound. Yet when you half the distortion just over half and the filter on about halfway you get a great graham coxon like setting for songs like 'freaking out'. As this pedal is used by coxon and jonny greenwood from Radiohead I find it works extremely well for their sound.

I play a wide range of styles such as Indie, modern and classic rock adn punk using both the neck and bridge pickups and I feel I can get most of the sounds I want. It is better suited to the rock kind of feel, where you can get thick bassy distortions and crunchy classic overdrives. I compared this to a Boss blues driver and Boss Overdrive pedal and I chose this because it simply offers a lot more tonewise. It can give a better variety in sounds and does not sound so generic so you can create your own tones. If it were lost I would definately buy it again!

I have had this for about three months now and it is plugged in almost all of the time. The original battery has lasted and I have really stomped on this to test it's durability. It is really great in this sense because it is practically unbreakable. It has never died on me when practicing so I see it as very realiable too. However I have never gigged before so I can't really say whether a backup is necessary or not.

This is, in my opinion, one of the must have distortion pedals. It is pretty easy to get a good sound out of it, but to get the sound you want, you may have to tweak a bit. There are only three controls, distortion, filter and volume, all pretty self explanatory. The filter knob basically increases the treble if rolled to the left and bass if rolled to the right. Extremely easy and simple to use. Another feature with this is that it glows in the dark, which looks pretty cool!

bigwillie
    ^ To the first guy: You paid 70 pounds, which is 128.1 American dollars. They just converted it into a different currency.
    DunlopGuy
    i heard that the new rats ship with horrible distortion units. thats why i bought a keeley modded one
    bettyswollox
    I wrote the first review and it says that i paid 128.1 for this pedal i actually paid 70, don't know why they changed it.
    Darguit
    i have one of these.. but mine is the #1 version from when they first came out so its all rusted but the sound is AMAZING and it does work well as a boost cuz i use it for that. I'll sell all my pedals for other ones except this one and my DD-3.
    guy_tebache
    iantheman
    these things can take a f#ckin beating. also i heard david gilmour uses one. but i dont hear much distortion in pink floyd songs.
    soupdragon
    libertines4ever wrote: guy_tebache wrote: I was told that on the first arctic monkeys album alex turner uses two of these into an Orange AD30T. Can anyone confirm that? heard of it aswell http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/... /news_id/e/1516
    Yeah, that's how I found this pedal, so I may be buying one of these soon, see if I can get that Arctic Monkey sound.