Rat 2 review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Rat 2

Purchased from: Friend

I have had my Rat 2 for about 4 months now and use it with either a Epi Dot With Dimarzio 36th Annaversary PAFs, LTD Viper 500 with EMG 60/81 set. I play through a Bugera V22 with a Rocket 50 speaker at home or a Marshall TSL 100 watt head and a 1960a cab at school. There is very little noise, even when distortion is high (of course the Epi will feedback, but thats because its a semi-hollow body) and it is a pedal with a lot of meat and punch in it. An 8 because it has a great sound, and I would only give a 10 to a tone that made me tear up because of the beauty and depth of it.

I play mainly blues and experimental rock, and this pedal is a tone machine. I have been playing 6 years and have owned about 10 various guitars through the years and keep getting new ones, and I'm looking to upgrade the Bugera for an Engl or Splawn. I have quite the collection of effects, and this is the most reliable and steady by far. I would replace it in a heartbeat if it was stolen, and I got it for 10 bucks from a friend, so I doubt I'd find that price again. Great pedal, great tone, great reliability.

This thing is a tank. I've dropped an Armour piercing tank round (only the tungsten head, not the entire casing), and it had a tiny scratch. Thing is built to stand world war 3. I use it regularly to gig w/out trouble. Pretty damn reliable.

The Rat 2 is a very simple, and very versatile sounding pedal. It can go from Pre-60's Blues to Motley Crue, but doesn't really well with Death/Hardcore Metal. It has 3 knobs. Distortion controls the gain, the filter has a backwards sweep where 9 O'clock is very trembly and 3 O'clock has more of a Bass oriented sound. The volume controls, well, volume. Kinda self explanatory. But it is a great Blues to Classic Metal Pedal. Wish it had a tiny bit more gain, but it is quite the tone machine!

sg4ever
    It does have good and usable sounds, but it can be pretty finicky with your gear and flubby when trying to smooth it out. The kind of music I play that would utilize that much gain on tap, has a different tonality to the distortion altogether, so I'm considering just booting it.