Rat 2 review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Rat 2

I use this pedal in my rig, my rig usually consists of an Epiphone G-400 faded or a Fender Stagemaster SSS -> Octave Fuzz -> Crybaby Wah -> Boss SD-1 -> Proco Rat 2 -> Vintage Phaser -> Traynor YCV20. The pedal is very quiet on my SG, and makes some good humming with the Fender. It hums on the Fender because it has single coils. I love the versatility of this pedal! It can do classic Metallica and Sabbath to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Zeppelin, and Boston. When I play it through my Fender, I can get some really nice creamy Pink Floyd tones. I like the Rat's ability to break up and really bite. It won't to over-the-top distorted metal, but for most purposes, it works extremely well.

I normally play classic rock/metal, with some newer stuff mixed in. I've been playing for 7 years, and I've owned a mess of distortion/overdrive pedals, and this is one of my favorites. If it was lost or stolen, I would most likely buy another one. Overall, I am very impressed with this pedal.

I'm pretty sure this pedal could go to hell and back, and the only damage might be a few little scorch marks from the fire. It is house in an all metal housing. I could definitely (and I have) gigged with out a backup. This pedal is built like a tank, and could probably survive a shot from one.

Basic dirt pedal, 3 knobs distortion, filter, and volume. Distortion increases when you turn the know clockwise. The filter was a little confusing at first: instead of increasing treble by turning it to clockwise, it increases in treble by turning it counter-clockwise. The volume pedal makes the pedal louder (duh). The manual told you how to set it up, and how the knobs work. It takes a 9 volt or an adapter. I have a slight beef with Proco though, it has a positive jack, instead of the normal (Boss style) negative jack. I had to buy a special adapter for my pedal board. Instead of the 8/10 because they do make some 1/0 knob pedals.