Turbo Rat review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Turbo Rat

Purchased from: Garage Sale

I picked up this hot little box at a garage sale. When I got it, it was covered in duct tape, missing screws, and the battery plate was gone. The guy that I got it from seemed sad to part with it, probably because it had been through so much with him. The sound is consistantly great. Even though you can't really get that treble out the butt sound (at least not through my Roland Cube 60 bass amp), this little box will take you from classic rock rhythm all the way Nirvana' "Teen Spirit") rhythm sound, and, with a bit of gain from the amp, even some high octane grind a-la "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

I am first and formost a Queen fan. If I had 3 things I could save from a burning building, they would be Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Meadows Taylor. This box can turn a weedy strat copy into the red special with its tone knob, and its distortion can pull out tones reminiscent of The Prophet's Song, White Man, or Great King Rat. If this little box were stolen, lost, or broken, my first response would be to get another one, before anger or sadness. I believe that the owner's desciption accurately covered what I needed to know to buy this pedal. Simply put, "it's just this really nasty distortion pedal." I like everything about this box, especially the name. I really would like a 3 band EQ, but that would neccisate a bigger box, so it's cool. This box definitely gets a 10 all around!

When I picked this box up, the battery in it was so old that one of the connectors disconnected from the body of the battery. The guy claims that this box has served its purpose in countless practices, and in my experience it takes way fewer batteries than my Boss OS-2. I would chunk this and my Dunlop wah into my gig bag, hit the bus station, and go to a gig without a second though. This little box's steel coffin looks like it could hold a demented gorrilla.

Three knobs, each with their own label, I know I don't need a map! The filter knob is a bit weird, considering how it works. It's kind of like the pots on a guitar, only it takes treble away as you twist it to the right instead of adding it. The volume and distortion knobs work great. My unit is completely stock, to the best of my knowledge.

p2fyre
    This is one of the most under-rated distortion pedals ever! It's just amazing for rock.