Turbo Rat review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Turbo Rat

Purchased from: Moonlight Music

It has a great rock-ish feel when I turn on the Turbo Rat. Though, it makes a small noise when I turn on the Turbo Rat while my amp is on. It's sort of like a hissing sound, and it sometimes gets annoying, but I could live with it. If the distortion sounds weak, it pretty much means my battery is going out and I probably need to replace it. Usually, I rock out playing those classic rock songs.

This was my first guitar pedal/effect that I purchased; and my only one. I've been playing for about three years now, and I purchased the Turbo Rat when I was playing for a year and a half or so. I play rock n' roll and pop music. I own a black/white Squier and it's my only electric. I purchased the Turbo Rat at a small store, and I asked the employees which guitar distortion pedal to get. I knew nothing about pedals/effects; I was still a newbie at the time. One of the guys immediately recommended me the Turbo Rat and offered me $80 on it. I had my doubts and all, because it was used, had no manual, no package box, and was expensive. But I bought it anyway since they recommended it. To this day, I'm completely satisfied with the product, but I regret paying $80 for the used Turbo Rat when I know that now I could get a new one for cheaper.

I could depend on this pedal for a while. I could use it when I jam with my friends. It's a great pedal to use at home, I think I would use a different pedal if I'm doing a gig.

The Turbo Rat is really easy and simple to use. There are three knobs: Distortion, Volume, and Filter. How easy could that possible be? There is also a button to turn the effect on. There was no manual when I purchased it. You can adjust the knobs however you'd like to have that perfect sound.

Donkey Fly
    This thing is practically invincible. I have(purposley) dropped it on the stone floor, to show friends, and nothing has happened. It is protected by a half inch shell of steel. It is fairly heavy, but at least it wont fall apart.
    Lol, i wouldn't even drop it on my bedroom floor on purpose nevermind a stone floor. My dad had the Rat when he played years and YEARS ago, he said it was amazing.....thinking of getting this one....if the first rat was as good as he's making out to be then this should be ****ing brilliant
    DareBear02
    This really is an awesome pedal, It was the first distortion pedal I bought and I got it for 30 bucks. Alot of guitarists I know use or have used this (Dave Grohl in particular). And I love the versitility and crunch and scream I can get from it. And yea, it pretty much is indestructable and probably the most fun when playing from an all tube amp.
    wildchild6660
    Rudy Burns wrote: I got a Turbo Rat because everyone says how great they are, but i cant seem to get it to sound good... it seems i need to keep the filter on minimum otherwise the guitar gets way too trebbly, and the distortion knob needs to be nearly maxed out to get a good full sound... its good for playing open/unmuted chords and solos, but try to play palm-muted, and the distortion and volume die rapidly!
    maybe the prob. is with ur amp
    lastlivingboy
    The entire RAT line are probably the best distortion pedals ever made. I came to that decision even after playing a Tube Screamer reissue. I backed all the way off the gain on that, and I couldn't get a dirty sound, and with it open, it still wasn't as thick and crunchy as my TurboRAT.
    Dr.Tomahawk
    p2fyre wrote: This is one of the most under-rated distortion pedals ever! It's just amazing for rock.
    I agree, the Rat series in general all all under-rated, James Hetfield used the original Rat in the days of Kill 'Em All
    jackins
    This is the first distortion pedal I got and I can't see my self replacing it, it's brilliant, and rock solid, can see it lasting a lifetime
    Jusamies
    Wow! Now I've gotta get one! Looks like it could survive a battallion of tanks running over it.
    Rudy Burns