Turbo Rat review by Pro Co

Pro Co: Turbo Rat

I use my Gibson LP into a Boss Super Octave OC3 > Danelectro TO1 > Turbo Rat > Voodoo Lab Microvibe > BBE Two Timer > TC Electronics > BBE Sonic Stomp > ISP Decimator > Ampeg V50. Even by itself it can get pretty brutal on its own. With the rest of my chain it should classify as a war crime. It is absolutely the most heavy tone I have ever heard I occasionally start laughing at how over the top brutal this thing can get, when I turn my amp to 4 (the pedal is cranked in front of a 50 watt tube amp with no master volume knob) a slight application of a noise gate is a good idea. I will say this this pedal adds a lot and I do mean a lot of mids. If I am playing clean I will need to re-eq my amp if I'm planning on playing a clean set. While using this pedal I have my mids at 2 or 0. Its actually pretty nice having that nice heavy crunch of doom tone while not suffering from the obvious tone loss associated with scooping ones mids. I will say this though this pedal is pretty bleh if you use a solid state amp, if you are using a solid state I would look at something like a Visual Sound, Jekyll and Hyde it will more than likely sound better to your ears. If you have a tube amp this is an excellent choice and I highly recommend it.

For starters I wish this thing was better designed on the bottom. The four rubber stoppers make putting it on a pedal board an absolute nightmare due to a lack of surface area and its weight. I gave up on that completly. If you got it to stick to your board post how you did it I'm very curious here. Given that that is its only flaw outside of the odd power adapter this pedal is truely amazing. I have been playing for 8 years and I primarly play various sub genres of metal. Death thrash, classic, doo and it does pretty well across the board really. Haven't come up with a good stoner tone vut I'm lazy so I'll just buy or build a fuzz. If lost or stolen I would buy annother one because they are pretty reasonably priced.

Heavy duty steel and what appears to be a very sturdy toggle switch I don't see this thing dying anytime soon, I might bring a spare to whack a drunk fan lol. I stubbed my toe on this thing and it hurt like hell.

It has three knobs that work in a semi logical function. Distortion, filter and volume. The filter is almost like a treble cut which is odd, still pretty easy to get a kick arse tone out of it. If your having some trouble try eq'ing your amp differently.