You Dirty Rat Review

manufacturer: Pro Co date: 04/19/2016 category: Guitar Effects
Pro Co: You Dirty Rat
The You Dirty RAT combines the sound of the garage with the spirit of innovation. This is the most classic sounding of all RAT distortion pedals. Think '60s garage rock. Think early punk. Think about the bands that changed the sound of rock 'n' roll.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.9
 8.4
 9.3
 3,038
reviews (2) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
You Dirty Rat Reviewed by: Jonny02, on august 28, 2007

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Ease of Use: Typical distortion pedal set up, three knobs: gain, volume and filter. The filter acts as the reverse of a treble/tone knob, ie as the knob is turned anti-clockwise the high end increases. Does take a bit of tweaking to get a good sound, I found the knobs to be very sensitive, one little dunt one way can totally change the overall tone. // 9

Sound: I mostly use this pedal as a lead boost on the dirty channel of my Orange Rocker 30. The Rocker is quite a darkly voiced amp and the Rat really emphasizes this, I can get a tone similiar to Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age. I do use this pedal on the clean channel for rhythm sounds as well and would suggest that you set the filter knob quite low as this pedal can get very muddy. All in all is great sounding though, adapts to every rig differently with tweaking I've found. Can also cut through a live mix very well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Extremely sturdy and reliable, built like a tank. The battery consumption aint great though, I usually keep a few spare batteries at gigs just incase, this is the only pedal on my board not powered by a power supply so it's not a big concern for me. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a little of everything in my personal playing and found this pedal to be very versatile. IMO it prefers guitars with humbuckers, I've had better luck getting nice tones with humbucker guitars, for example I can get an amazing lead tone with my friends LP, but struggle more to get a really useable lead tone on my Strat, not that it can't be done. My one gripe with this pedal is muddiness that sometimes is hard to get rid of, again it can be done with tweaking, but I wouldn't describe this pedal as instantly satisfying. Overall it's great and has become an important part of my sound, but try thouroughly before you buy. // 9

You Dirty Rat Reviewed by: Gab_Azz, on april 19, 2016

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Olimpus Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is a great pedal with a lot of sounds in a small box. It is easy to get a good tone out of it. It does not sound like a tube saturation but has it still sounds great. The pedal has 3 knobs, distortion, filter and volume. The distortion allows you to control the gain. Volume allows you to set unity gain of if desired boost or cut when engaging the pedal. The Filter knob allows you to adjust the tone of the pedal. This version has a status LED. Some older variant models did not have this. // 8

Sound: This pedal has a lot of different sounds. The distortion knob allows you to go from overdrive tones, to distortion to fuzz. Then the filter knob allows you to go from fizzy, solid state saturation to a filtered and scooped, aggressive tight sound. The use of germanium diodes in this product instead of silicone diodes found in the other RATs allows this pedal to have a smoother distortion compared to the others. It also sounds full and tight as the germanium starts distorting earlier. The downside of germanium diodes is that they are not as efficient as the silicone counterparts, thus, this pedal requires the volume knob to be set at a higher position to achieve the same level. I prefer this over the Silicone version. I find this pedal perfect to compliment a clean amp, in my case a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II. It is great for lead playing allowing to get compression and sustain. I like to boost it with a Dyna Comp for even more sustain and screaming leads. works well with modulation and delays too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal has a solid steel case. The knobs feel really heavy duty and everything feels rock solid. The main feature that I do not like is that where the top part and bottom part of the case meet, there is a gap, through which dust can get to the electronics. I've got quite a number of compliments on this pedal's sound by fellow musicians at gigs. This pedal allows me to get a consistent sound every location I play. I can rely on this pedal for the distortion sound as it never broke down and sounds good in every situation. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this pedal for a lead playing over a clean amp. This pedal allows me to get a great tone. It does work well with a lot of pedals. I use it with Electro-Harmonix Small Stone and Small Clone. It also works with the Boss DD-3 and DM-2W. The downside of this pedal is that due to the germanium diodes being less efficient than the silicone diodes it has a lower output than other RATs. The circuit could have been optimised for those diodes as unity gain is about 2 o'clock on my unit. I have compared it to the other RATs and to a couple of Big Muffs. I prefer the germanium sound of this pedal. This pedal is my main lead tone. In conjunction with the DM-2W through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. // 9

Comments