TUA review by RailHead

RailHead: TUA

Purchased from: RailHead effects

I play the TUA through my Black Heart Handsome Devil head and cab, with an Eminence Swamp Thang speaker in it. For guitars, I mainly use a Washburn X50 pro FE with an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. I occasionly play an ESP Xtone PC-1V with alnico pro II pickups in the neck and bridge. The name TUA stands for Total Utter Anihilation and that is exactly what this pedal is all about. The gain that this pedal creates is immense and I rarely find myself putting it past 10 o'clock. It creates a bit of noise, but I really can't picture any pedal that packs this much gain being silent. This pedal can take my devil into slayer, early venom or really any thrash type tones. It really doesn't produce that thick bass that shakes items off your wall though. Notes are articulate however and power chords sound great. I wouldn't recommend this for say Nu Metal, low end focused players, but thrash players should love it. Venom is a good example and this pedal is perfect for Welcome to Hell/Black Metal years, but not the best for say the recent album Hell. In the end, if you are looking for a pedal that can be your overdrive/distortion, this isn't for you. If you are looking for one of the highest gain pedals ever created, then you just found it.

I bought this pedal to use solely for slayer type tones and it does it very well. I have been playing for about 2 1/2 years, when life lets me. I was previously using a Boss ML-2(metalcore)and the Boss seems to pump a thicker, heavier low end into the amp than the TUA. The Tua however can get a much wider variety of sounds thanks to the presence control and the sensitivity of the other knobs. Of course the sensitivity of the knobs is what I love about it, but also what I hate. I find myself constantly tweaking it instead of just setting it and playing. If it were lost or stolen, however, I would replace it. Features I wish it had would be a built in noise gate, a bass boost Switch and maybe a knob guard like those that come with Hardwire pedals.

It's handbuilt in the USA, metal chasis, high quality Switch and knobs. The knobs are metal and solid and are actually screwed on, so they aren't going to pop off for no reason. It should be able to handle the rigors of the road no problem. Would I go without a back up? Probably.

For ease of use, I gave this pedal a 7. The pedal has controls for Level, Presence, Low, Mid, High and Gain. The controls are ultra sensitive, meaning that there is a huge difference in sound, with minimal movement of the knob. This is both a blessing and a curse. You can quickly dial in a good tone, but you are presented with so many sound variations that you may find yourself constantly adjusting the knobs to see what else you can find. My old distortion pedal had a level, low, high and gain, it was basically set it and foget it. I find myself messing the controls of the TUA a lot more. So, great tweakablity and variation of sound, but it may be more than some would like to mess around with.

Jsteele1408
    slipknot_420 wrote: no
    How informative. I see you also rated the pedal a 1, without giving any specific reason why it deserves the lowest possible rating. Thanks for making UG a better place.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Werekill
    Nice, informative review. I was planning on trying out one of these, but now that I know how high the gain is, I probably won't get it.
    noisewall11
    Seref
    aRandomSandwich
    i like you
    Grawgos
    Linkerman
    Seref wrote: I'll give the review an 8 just for having tested the pedal through a real amp and not a Spider or MG.
    The rating system on the top right of the page is to rate the item in question , not the review... To rate the review, you have to use the "Yes" and "No" buttons at the end of each review (next to the "Was this review helpful to you? " question). I think many people in UG still can't understand this simple concept...
    themelodicdeathshow
    celticstorm84
    slipknot_420 wrote: Grawgos wrote: noisewall11 wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: Sorry let me elaborate,he/she is comparing it to a boss ml-2, i really dont have to say more. How would you know if i rated the pedal? Dont say i rated something when you have no idea who rated it any veiwer could have! And the rating system is there to use so really it shouldnt be your concern thank you. Also to me this pedal sounds like a more expensive fullbore metal. so just because he is comparing it to a metal zone automatically means he doesn't know what he's talking about?? that's like me saying you don't know jack s*** about music and have awful taste cause you have slipknot in your name. now, your probably really confused at the moment and i think i'll leave you at that.. cause it's pretty obvious that you and the 10,000 other clones of you on this website will never undstand how ignorant and braindead you sound by the way you talk and think on here. Noisewall- right on bro Slipknot- it is painfully apparent that you don't own/never have owned this pedal, so why don't you keep your uninformed assumtions to yourself. Watching a youtube video of a product doesn't make you an expert on it. My review was brutally fair and honest. I can't afford an Engl or Mesa amp for high gain, so I go with pedals. What are the choices for pedals when it comes to that type of high gain? Metal zone, metal core, hardwire TL-2, digitech death metal, barber dirty bomb, full bore metal. yea I looked at and tried those and I went with the TUA and I believe that I made the right choice. Again, if you are not looking for a super high gain pedal, then stay away from this one. Yea i used to own one so get over it, ive also extensively played an ml-2, mt-2, tl-2 pretty much any mainstream pedal that gc would carry. I worked at gc for years, and now am part own a chain of music stores. Thank you though
    Guitar Center...great. Cool story, brah. Good review. Hopefully someday I'll be able to try out one of these for myself.