Fuzz God II review by Red Witch

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Red Witch: Fuzz God II

Price paid: A$ 299

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

The pedal can give a great thick 'Melvins' style fuzz or a nice smooth 'Smashing Pumpkins' fuzz + a great warbly wobbly fuzz with chaotic therimin like noises. It is incredibly noisy when not playing while the 2nd footswitch is engaged, which can be quite annoying but can be utilised to make some very interesting sounds Due to being a bit of a pedalgeek I have not invested a great deal of fundage towards my guitar/amp setup and am running through a Squire Tele and Behringer amp, however I find them both more than adequate for my playing syle.

I have been playing guitar forover 20 years and play mostly alternative rock with a lot of effects. The pedal sounded perfect for what I wanted it for but I would definately prefer a Z Vex Fuzzprobe as it has a larger range of sounds which are more controlable with the foot operated theremin. Although the Fuzzgod sounds fantastic, if it were stolen I would simply laugh at the poor bastard who inherited its problems.

And now for the dissapointing part: The footswitches began to develop serious issues similar to those those experienced by the previous Fuzzgod2 reviewer. I experienced great difficulties with the pedal completely cutting out the whole guitar signal after about 3 months usage. Either footswitch could cause this problem, it would happen when simply engaging or disengaging the pedal or also by enagaging or disengaging the 2nd footswitch, and would leave you with nothing but awkward silence. Within a few weeks the problem worsenned to the point of not being able to get through playing a whole song without the pedal malfunctioning. I have now sent the unit for repair but have opted to replace it with a Z Vex Fuzzprobe as I have entirely lost Faith in my Fuzzgod. It is a damn shame as the pedal SOUNDED awesome I was also very dissapointed with Red Witches policy on 'Faulty' goods and was not even offered a renewal of warranty and was merely offered the return of the fixed unit.

I found the Fuzzgod2 very easy to use and very versatile, until the footswitches began to seriously malfunction after 3 months of normal usage, which I will get back to shortly. However the Fuzzgod does have a great sound. By engaging the 2nd footswitch you can get very interesting thick fuzztones with suboctave sounds or strange thermin like tones that creep in as the signal weakens. The lighter end of the spectrum is much like any fuzz pedal but the crackling signal noises can sound nice.

gumbilicious
    alright, after shelving this unit for a number of months, i finally 'fixed' it. the problem ended up being the pcb-mounted switch. i didn't even replaced it, i just took it apart, cleaned the parts and realigned everything and the switch works fine now. i may eventually replace the switch if i have more problems with it.
    Mark Dally
    @Gumbilicious. I had the same footswitch problem repaired by the distributer then had more problems with the 2nd footswitch. It stopped working whenever the lefthand fingerswitch was flicked to the right side, meaning no more 'faxdial lunacy' when in heavy fuzz mode, thus rendering the whole point of the pedal useless. I am still awaiting my 'replacement unit' after being told by Ben Fulton that my first replacement unit has been lost in the mail and he doesn't know where it was sent.
    Mark Dally
    @Redwitch, thanx for being decent about my Fuzzgod probs, looking forward to the new pedal. I erased my previous comment as I am now content with knowing I will soon recieve a new unit, and even a complimentary SevenSisters pedal of my choice, compliments of Ben Fulton at Redwitch. Cheers Ben.