Hush IICX review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Hush IICX

Purchased from: ebay

I'm using a Dean ML X with a Randall Warhead Combo amp. I'm using a Boss MT-2 as a boost, and this gives me a hell of a lot of noise. My setup goes guitar > MT-2 > hush > amp. The Hush completly silences the noise made by the metal zone. It's fantastic, I did have an ISP decimator pedal but in my opinion the HUSH is much better. The Hush doesnt't alter my tone at all, it just cuts out all the background noise, hum, and hiss. When I switch to the clean channel it doesnt't affect the sound at all, some noise reducers/gates cut off your notes once you Switch to cleans but not with the Hush.

I've been playing for just over 2 years and I play high gain metal, Pantera, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, In Flames, etc. My high gain setup results in a lot of noise, but thankfully the Hush keeps all my gear in check and doesnt't affect my tone at all. If it was stolen I would be pissed as these things are quite difficult to get hold of. If you have a very noisy setup definatly try and get hold of one of these units, they work really well and leave your tone intact.

It seems pretty solid, these units aren't made anymore as Rocktron now make the Hush super C, which I've heard is not as good as the older Hush units. It is very durable and I would trust it at a gig and would use it without a backup.

The Hush IICX is a noise reducer and gate all in 1 unit. It is actually much easier to use than it looks. Mine didn't come with a manual but I was able to download one from the Rocktron website. The Hush features 2 channels so you can use it with 2 amps at the same time. It has 2 knobs for each channel, and a few switches which let you adjust the speed of the the fade out. Downside is that it doesnt't come with a footswitch, but I can't see myself ever having this thing turned off.

DrCOOL
    I checked out a lot of silencer units recently as I was in the market for one. I have to say I was very pleased with this one. It's simple and I really dig the 2 channel. Allows me to run into the front of the amp and the effects loop with one unit. Cuts down on cost and amount gear I have to tote around. I found this thing pretty transparent once I took some time to dial in the proper settings. Definitely better than rocktrons newer models. I also like the in/out switch so I was able to A/B the sound. It does a great job of killing unwanted hum and hiss. Plus I picked it up used for $45 so the price was right. I would recommend this to anyone thats looking to shut things up.
    Emgguitarist15
    rv_phoenix
    Emgguitarist15 wrote: wow, i bought this for my Randall halfstack and it didn't do anything. It sucked up my tone and didn't help at all. I took it back and got the Boss NS-2 and it works amazingly.
    These devices are effective, but within certain limitations. I suggest you some changes in your equipment, before giving up the Hush. First of all, you must be aware that a lot of noise comes from the cables. There is one instrument cable, however, which doesn't hum at all: it's the Evidence Lyric HG. Patch cables are also a big source of noise: check again at Evidence, they have bulk cables for patch connections. This will dramatically diminish the noise even before Hush goes into action. Then, you must be aware of the fact that Hush likes more effects pedals in a row, in order to be truly effective and to have a smaller influence over the signal's strength. If you only use a sound processor, it doesn't perform so well. Without pedals, straight into a stack, it won't work. It wasn't conceived to. You must also check how much of the actual noise treshold is necessary: if you crank the Hush up, then it obviously cuts some of your highs and alters your sound. You might not need its full action. With good cables and power supplies for the pedals, you might need only 15 or 20% of its action. At this level, the influence over the signal is virtually zero. All in all, after a brief training with the equipment, Hush is a useful device. It doesn't do miracles, but it helps you keep the noise under control.