Metal Planet review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Metal Planet

Purchased from: Muscian's Friend

My unit is totally quiet, no noise floor even at high gain not playing. My tone adjust is low on 3:00, high on 10:00, both mids around 10:00. Gain it up, just Killer deep low, articulate, heavy distortion, no fizzy washout although you can adjust it badly and attain this (as some "demos" have managed to do). I think this is the BEST of the high gain boxes. It was better than I expected it to be. Brings what I liked from the Zone but better quality and tone. May not be what some like but for me it kicks major ass. I like this better than the Zombie or Rampage as this one has more control on the EQ. I am picky about distortion, and this one is a keeper.

I consider this the BEST of the HIGH GAIN pedals. Monster tone, intense, full, heavy bottom without mud sounds like a Zone on steroids. The demos of the Zone can make you hate that pedal as well. I watched one where the guy had all the EQ to the far left, I mean how could that sound good? Don't listen to the negatives on this pedal, it has a lot to do with your amp and guitar. This sound amazing through my single coils, HB single coils and the highest ohm HB I have. I love it, it is just what I like in a heavy Dist. I cannot understand who would not like the quality of the distortion here and if you think your amp can match this pedal you are so, so very wrong. I have a really great tube head and it cannot get anything close to the balls and intensity of this pedal. Video sounds are crappy, ignore them and the knobs on 12:00 or all the way down demos.

Rocktron (GHS) does not really get any better. "Technology for Guitarists" I think far too many players are just not really giving Rocktron their due. They seem to really turn the knobs on this one all wrong and players do not like the demo sounds. I don't either.

I find this box to be really easy to dial in great tones. It has a stacked EQ similar to the zone but larger knobs. Vol, Low level, high level (stacked), mid freq center and boost or cut (stacked), dist/gain level. Hard to get a bad tone out of this but I suppose that is underestimating 90% of players and the typical demos. Controls are quality, Rocktron (GHS) is a great company. This might be one of Roctrons early pedals but I think it's the best of the gain boxes.