Silver Dragon review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Silver Dragon

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Using a modded Epiphone Les Paul Special Edition with a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck into a Fender FM212R, this thing is amazing. It is noisy on Slayer mode when notes are not being played, but that is hardly a problem for me. The first mode (awaken) is purely the tube sound (yeah, this thing has an actual 12AX7 preamp tube in it) and it is great. With the EQ set correctly, it's possible to get a surprisingly good Brian May sound. I'm using it now, in fact. A good rock tone is at your fingertips across the board with this mode. The second mode (slayer) drives the solid-state distortion, and fully saturates the tube. This is a metal sound. I can get excellent Iron Maiden/Metallica sounds, and even a passable Pantera tone. The intensity knob basically adjusts the sensitivity of the pedal to Pick attack, and as it moves from low to high, one can get a Van Halen sound, to an all-out Pantera attack. Great sound.

Playing rock, metal, and punk, this pedal is an amazing all-around tone factory. I give it ten out of ten. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it to the experienced guitarist.

This thing is a rock. Enough said. I would gig with this without a backup in a nanosecond.

It's a little difficult adjusting to this distortion pedal at first. For most of my playing with my Boss DS-2, I had the gain past 3:00 most of the time. On this, I have that same sound at about 11:00. The odd naming of the knobs is a bit confusing for the first while, but it becomes easy to understand very quickly.