Silver Dragon review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Silver Dragon

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I use a bottom-line BC Rich warlock, and an old Peavey Express 112, transtube tech. These sound amazing together, I just wish I had a better guitar. The Silver Dragon is not noisy at all, I thought my Metal Zone was quite, wow, this one is amazing, the metal zone sounds so digital and brittle now. I thought it was heavy, this thing is a beast! The tube has to warm up a little, but that's expected, but that usually doesn't even take over 10 seconds. And the sounds are amazing! Pinch Harmonics are a lot easier with this pedal than they were on my Metal Zone. The sound scope of this thing is massive, the guy at the store was playing blues on it with the "Awaken" button pressed, then pressing the "Slayer" button he had a blues lead sound. He couldn't get a heavy sound out of it, but he said he didn't play that anyways that I could try. So I sat down and messed with the settings and had a Metallica-type distortion in no time, from that I tried to get the Slipknot tone again, and I did. Tried to get a little Overdrive like Bush's Glycerin song, and it was easy. The amazing this about it also is the 2 buttons, you can have a Bush-type distortion playing then press your "Slayer" button and voila, Metallica.

I play pretty much any kind of rock, and this pedal can do any type of distortion/overdrive you want, it's perfect for me. If I lost this pedal I would buy a new one as soon as I possibly could. I love everything about it except the odd labels, Fire, Shriek, Roar, Intensity, Breathe, and Level. Fire is a distortion controller for the "Awaken" mode, Shriek and Roar are a little EQ, Shriek being the treble, and Roar being the bass. Intensity and Breathe only have an effect while in the "Slayer" mode, Intensity controls the level of distortion from the circuit. And breathe is suppose to shape the tone somehow, But I can't really notice a difference in sound when it's turned, just a slight one, kind of like the "Power %" knob on my amp. And level, obvious, controls the level of the output. But this pedal is so loud, that if your just playing at home in your room, your not want to turn it up past about 9 o'clock.

This thing feels like a rock, it's heavy-duty, I would defiantly gig with this without a backup. Nothing is loose on it, it's really tight, and I'm sure it would take a long time for anything to start working it's way loose.

It's easy to get pretty much any sound you want, Although the labels make it hard at first. I didn't get a manual with mine since it was used. But I've heard that the manual really isn't even needed.

RG_FANMAN
    this thing sounds pretty cool...i wonder if it can handle Lamb of God and Amon Amarth....
    hvymtl939
    oh it easily can...thats what i use mine for
    наppy наиds
    does this pedal sound clear? i mean, does it sound similar to a studio sound? like cos some pedals sound flat.
    Thurisaz
    Ibanez SZ320 -> SD-1 -> Silver Dragon -> Metal Planet -> Rampage -> Peavey Rockmaster head. Now, I have so many distortions because I use them differently and they sound much different from each other. Sometimes, I'll use the tube portion of the Silver Dragon with my Rampage or Metal Planet to get a nice brutal tone, a raw thrash or death metal tone. The SD-1 is set mainly for a semi-clean boost with a bit of gain, (20% at most), and I may kick it one with the two for solos. The solid state pedals are set low gain (2-4), and most of the distortion is coming from the Silver Dragons tube, SD-1 and Rockmaster amp head. Finally, using the Silver Dragon with the Slayer engaged, and the SD-1, and I have a great black metal tone for my amp, which is it's main selling point. I generally have most of my distortion coming from my tubes and pickups, and very little gain from my solidstate portion of the Silver Dragon, SD-1, or other two Rocktron pedals. This makes for a much more natural distortion, similar but not quite like a loud tube amp. Great stuff comes from Rocktron, and I think I may get a Zombie if I find it used somewhere.
    Nightfyre
    leondb wrote: Any solid state users have this pedal?
    yeah, i've got a line 6 amp, it really warms up the sound. try it out first anyway, but you'll probably love it.
    HexDemon666 wrote: So, I've listened to the demo on the Rocktron website and the reviews here say excellent things. What I want to know is how heavy can it get? I mainly play thrash/death/grind, so I need something that can really get a crushing sound. From what I hear, it can get quite distorted which is good, but how heavy can it go?
    as heavy as you like, i play everything from jazz to death metal and this does it all. well not jazz but it could do fusion type stuff like satriani or liquid tension experiment. but trust me, it gets PLENTY heavy.
    Red989
    CamaroEric+
    Red989 wrote: Ok, I have a question. Does this sound good on a tube amp? I'm guessing it does, but just making sure. I have a Peavey Valveking 100 Head and the distortion isn't enough for me so I'm looking for a new pedal.
    i have a valveking 2x12 and my silver dragon sounds great with it!