Silver Dragon review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Silver Dragon

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I use this with an Ibanez RG370DX on a little Peavey or Drive practice amp. Other times I use it through a Line 6 Guitar Port and in a PA. All of that stuff is solid-state, and this is the only tube driven device in my set-up, but it makes my cheap amps sound like overdriven Fenders or Voxes. Whenever I crank it up to 10 on every setting I get some noise, but a noise suppressor kills that easily. I play mostly metal, and this will get there with chunks on the Awaken stage and solos on the Slayer stage. Sometimes I even put an overdrive pedal in front of it to Drive the tube into insane territory. But I also play a little blues and classic rock too, and by turning down the gain a little and peaking the highs, it works perfect for that, too.

Like I said, I mostly play metal, but sometimes play a little blues. This pedal is versatile enough to cover them and everything in between. The cool thing is the solid-state distortion that goes into the tube on a seperate button, so I can hit that and a Xciter pedal and I've got the best solo tone I've ever heard. I've got a DigiTech Grunge, a Danelectro Black Coffee, and a DigiTech Screamin' Blues, and this pedal makes the best sounding distortion of them all. It may not make quite as much, but because it's tube driven, it sounds fuller and crispier. I would say this pedal is the best buy I've made so far, even over my Whammy pedal.

Half of my pedal board is made up of plastic pedals, but this is probably the most indestructable one of them all. I wouldn't suggest standing on it, but go ahead and stomp on it all you want. It wouldn't suprise me if one of the knobs broke off, but that's because I use my feet to turn them. Otherwise I couldn't imagine breaking this beast.

This pedal is one of the most straight foward pedals that I've owned. It's got a pre-gain knob, treble, bass, post-intensity, wave morpher (slightly confusing), and a level knob. Once you figure out where that sweet spot is for your style of music, this thing rocks. As for the buttons, push one to turn on a heavy overdrive and push the other one to Drive the tubes into a heavy distortion.

Ben12321
    Okay... what I can't really figure out is... can this do MODERN metal? Huge respect to the bands that influenced it (Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, etc.)... but it seems that wherever I go trying to find info on this thing, people praise it but they all play Maiden and other 80's metal. I'm looking for something that can do Metalcore, Deathcore, Grind, and Heavy Rock. I'm talking about the more scooped and heavy-as-f*#& tones that you get from bands like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, All That Remains, As Blood Runs Black, All Shall Perish, August Burns Red, Bloodjinn, Darkest Hour, Demon Hunter, It Dies Today... Can this pedal do THAT type of stuff?