Silver Dragon review by Rocktron

Rocktron: Silver Dragon

Purchased from: Music123

As with all Rocktron distortion pedals, they are good for metal, and sound best on tube amps. It can get noisy when you have the second Switch on and the boost's Overdrive is set too high. The full sweep of the controls aren't functional, but the 50-60% that is, works great [the controls work the full 100%, but not much is needed past 50%, and is kinda outrageous if you do go past that. I hear it's because of the high gain tube]. I get a nice 5150-esque tone, but it's not spot on, and that's what I wanted. Works great for that.

Perfect for metal, I'd buy it again, and I also wish that Rocktron would do this sorta thing with the Rampage, Metal Planet [especially the Metal Planet, it seems kinda stale and sterile without one], and Zombie. My favorite feature is the tube and 2 channels even though the tube just filters the sound from what I have been told. I get enough from my preamp tubes, that with this and the little power amp saturation I can muster in my bedroom on my head, it sounds great.

I could depend on this, because all Rocktron pedals are solid. I'd gig it without a backup because I wouldn't have it where it could get kicked around and I also think the pedals can get a bit of a beating before they'll die out on you. Reliable and durable.

The first Switch gets a nice tube Overdrive going, and the second footswitch blows it up, and makes for a nice lead tone. The manual gives a good place to start, and then I worked the knobs a bit to get the tone I wanted. I can easily get great tones from this pedal. Very usable for Metal. Very easy to use.

bla556
    Megdidar wrote: I had one of these. I really liked it before I started to get an ear for tone. And it wasn't the most durable pedal either, the aluminum housing scratches easily and mine just flat out stopped working for no apparent reason. Didn't take it anywhere, didn't abuse it, just one day ceased to function. I ended up taking it apart and using it for spare parts. Some points, 1.The tube in it doesn't do jack for your tone, it takes way more power than the pedal is pushing to make that tube do anything at all, 2.That orange glow you see coming from the little window with the tube? That's not the tube, there's a orange LED mounted underneath the tube to make it looks like it's actually doing something. It's also noisy as all hell, lots of hissing and popping feedback if you run both sections of it at the same time. After it crapped out I replaced it with a boss ML-2 and I haven't looked back, my rig sounds exponentially better. If you want a REAL tube powered distortion pedal you're going to have to pay for one, and they aren't cheap.
    you are telling us you got an ear for tone but then you praise the boss ml-2? the metal core-pedal is pure bullshit, the most undefined tone & sound i ever heard...well maybe not as bad as a behringer pedal
    Shinozoku
    Ben12321 wrote: Okay... what I can't really figure out is... can this do MODERN metal? Huge respect to the bands that influenced it (Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, etc.)... but it seems that wherever I go trying to find info on this thing, people praise it but they all play Maiden and other 80's metal. I'm looking for something that can do Metalcore, Deathcore, Grind, and Heavy Rock. I'm talking about the more scooped and heavy-as-f*#& tones that you get from bands like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, All That Remains, As Blood Runs Black, All Shall Perish, August Burns Red, Bloodjinn, Darkest Hour, Demon Hunter, It Dies Today... Can this pedal do THAT type of stuff?
    LoG doesn't use that much gain these days =/ Also, see the above comment about it handling Amon Amarth (evidently though, it helps to have a decent tube amp to use it with).
    mrrman
    jeffeenso wrote: I HAVE A ROCKTRON SILVER DRAGON IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION FOR SALE! I RECEIVED IT AS A GIFT, BUT IT'S TOO HEAVY FOR ME. I WANT TO SELL IT FOR AN ENGLISH MUFF'N. ONCE AGAIN, IT IS IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION. I REMOVED THE RUBBER FEET AND PUT VELCRO ON THE BACK SO IT WOULD STAY ON MY PEDALBOARD. I STILL HAVE THE RUBBER FEET, WHICH CAN BE EASILY ATTACHED. ALSO INCLUDES POWER SUPPLY. E-MAIL ME AT jclievense@insightbb.com WITH "ROCKTRON SILVER DRAGON" AS THE SUBJECT. I AM CURRENTLY ASKING $100 BUT I'M WILLING TO GO LOWER THANKS! -Jeff
    Is you email working? just got bounced back
    Megdidar
    Megdidar
    Really? Maybe you should try adjusting the settings instead of throwing all the knobs clockwise as far as they'll go like a pudwacker. If you bought a silver dragon I'm sorry, there are better pedals that can be bought for a few dollars more or even a few less. I suggest the Blackstar HT-DISTX if you want a tube pedal. All you're doing with the silver dragon is taking a good amp and making it sound bad.
    Phade
    I really love this pedal, I think its up there with blackstar. I will admit the blackstar is a little better but I wouldnt waste the extra money. The silver dragon does definitely kill any boss distortion anyday and can pretty much get any distortion you want
    cadav3r
    Just picked up this pedal in working order at a Music go Round for 40 bucks cuz the power supply was missing. Guess what? The power supply for my GNX2 works great for it! This pedal is instantly my main pedal... I play blues rock stuff and awaken with the gain at 9oclock is pretty much dead on for my style. I have a Boss FBM-1 which should be the perfect pedal for blues rock, but the silver dragon of all pedals surpasses it. Slayer is great for searing leads, and I love it cuz it feels so smooth transitioning. I Saturates the original signal without actually changing the tone... Just an amazing pedal... And I don't play metal!
    Tweegster
    I am glad someone else commented on it for blues rock. I use it with the tube driven side low and I love what it does to my sound. Then when you want to cut through the mix you can always hit solid state. Really makes my humbucker sound like magic. And if you want to make your bandmates ears bleed, its only a couple knob spins away.
    b_miami
    Just a correction to someones review that mentioned the tube glows. It does not. There's an LED behind the tube and lights it up when the PS is connected. The tube gets warm though emits no light.