Utopia G100 review by Rocktron

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Rocktron: Utopia G100

Purchased from: Local store

I'm using an Ibanez RG370 with DiMarzio's, and I also have an LTD for dropped D tuning. Then to a Randall 2x12 100w tube amp. It has a very unique type of distortion in it, the Mega channel is the one that really stands out. Also Clean channel is good, adding some reverb or delay to it and you get a good clean rythmn sound. As with the majority of multi effects pedals and processors, a real all-tube head can blow this unit anytime, but you can get a really good distortion sound out of it, and the Variac Switch it has really helps shaping the sound.. The effects themselves are really good, specially chorus, delay, and the reverb. You have the three normal EQ controls, treble, bass and middle, with the addition of a presence, and a bright Switch for clean and a scoop one for the mega channel, with the latter you can get a really good Death Metal sound. About modeling any artists sound, I dont recomend you to get this, if you want to model a Mustaine lead or rythmn sound, you can get about a 60% to it, but talking about that thick massive Cannibal Corpse sound, forget it. And the last thing that really stands out on this unit is the hush noise reducer, it really is the best I have heard on a multi effects.

I play metal, heavy/death/brutal, in a band. The unit stands really well in the band, and I can get a good Death Metal tone out of it. I've been playing for 11 years so I think I know enough to compare this unit in my experience. I've gigged with it and it has not given me any trouble, just the preset changing issue I cited above. I've played through Marshall half stacks, Randalls, even a Behringer half stack, and PA systems, it always sounds good.

I've been gigging with it for some months now, never failed, one thing that I don't like at all is that it only has three foot switches, and that it doesn't automatically changes the patches, you have to push the up/down button and then the recall button to call the preset you want. That is really uninspiring when using it in a Live situation. Other aspect I don't like is the inexistence of a tuner, a must have for any guitarist. Now, onto the MAJOR problem, and the reason I'm getting rid of it, is that a couple weeks ago it started acting strange, when I power it up, starts changing patches in a non-stop way, from the one I use all the way to the last one, and that keeps on going forever, and nothing can stop it, even if you turn any of the knobs it won't stop doing that. I just got sick of that, and I'm waiting to have some money and get a POD 2.0 or a Johnson J-Station, I hope it's soon.

Fisrt of all it took some time to get used to the small amount of knobs on the panel, with just three knobs one can think that it can't do many things. But it sure takes some time to tweak patches to your like. Editing patches gets easier with time, and when you get to know the unit its all much faster. Manual is fairly good. It is very new so no firmware upgrades yet.

SMMSWEDEN
    I just got it (dirt cheap from an oldie player)- Awesome quality efx - AND I LOVE THE PREAMPS. Clean,dirtyor full gain - this unit delivers. Ok,gonna go read the manual now,assgn shit to the ex pedal. Very good eq by the way.