Utopia G100 review by Rocktron

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Rocktron: Utopia G100

Sound was good. My uses were not for nearly as much as this thing could do. If you are into distortion and other such noises, then I'm sure it sounded good. There were no issues that I could detect with quality of sound. All in all, I'm sure you could emulate or cover a famous artist with this pedal (if you can figure it out). Personally, that wasn't my goal. I play like me, not like Slash.

I mostly play jazz on my electric and got this for playing in a musical. I typically don't need a lot of effects but occasionally a musical will call for something. I hoped this would keep me from collecting pedals I only use once in a while. But, since it won't do what I need it to do, it is worthless to me. If you are looking for a quick setup, easy to use, easy to customize multi-effects pedal, this isn't a good choice. If you like spending more time tinkering with buttons in hopes of sounding like your favorite Rocker instead of learning to play music, then by all means waste your money. In all seriousness, this isn't a good product for most of us.

Built well and heavy as a brick. It would probably stand up to being dropped out of a moving vehicle... The knobs didn't seem all that rugged, but what effects pedal does these days? The expression pedal seemed to be able to hold up to some abuse, but I couldn't really get it to do what I wanted so it was hard to tell.

It was a simple setup to get sound out. Plug and play. Presets were easy to get to. But the down fall was trying to get one effect to come through at a time. The interface takes a lot of work and is not intuitive at all. I spent two hours working with it (manual in hand) before I gave up. The manual is not very good at explaining in a concise way how to work this thing. There are no examples either in the manual or online. I spent part of my time rereading sections trying to understand what it said I should do rather than doing it.