RE-20 Space Echo review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Roland: RE-20 Space Echo

Purchased from: Craigslist

My Setup= (I just started so dont laugh)= *Squier Affinity Strat >> Pro Co Rat Distortion >> Roland Space Echo >> EHX Memory Boy Delay ** This pedals sound was not at all what I was looking for. Although others have claimed this pedal to be amazing, I find it to be far from it. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder and while many are raving about this pedal, there are others out there who appreciate a good warm tone that I'm trying to reach with this review. When switched to the reverb only effect you get a decent reverb but a reverb that sucks a lot of your tone and lacks personality. Once I tried the reverb I only hoped the echo would be better but obviously it was bad as well, this pedal is very unaffective for quality guitar sounds. In fact, the reverb on my $100 Behringer mixer is much better than the Roland RE-20. The delay on this thing is not that bad and it seems very similar to that of the Boss digital delays, so if your into those pedals, this is right up your alley. I'm not here to start a digital vs. analog debate but for those of you who enjoy warm analog tones steer clear of this guy because he won't do it for you. When compared to my EHX Memory Boy, the Memory Boy wins all the way and he's half the price. Again beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and there are many of you who would simply adore this pedal the second you got your hands on it but only if you can appreciate pedals like the digital delays Boss offers in addition to anything digital. If you have a Digital Delay sell it and buy this instead, you'll be able to customize your tone better. If you appreciate analog sound go with a Memory Boy if your strapped for cash but if not go the right way and get a EHX Deluxe Memory Man, you'll be 5 times happier. The Roland Re-20 is a great tool for many people out there but not for the critical guitar player. The RE-20 in my opinion is best displayed when hooked up to a keyboard or synthesizer, that's where its true colors are displayed not through a guitar for that matter.

I play rock music and I bought this pedal because I knew Omar from the Mars Volta played with the real tape edition and I wanted some of his sound so I bought it hoping it would sound close enough to a real tape echo and I was sadly dissappointed. But the space echo is not completely in vain because I'm not even selling it, it's a great addition to my keyboard and that's what I highly recommend it for but I wish I would have spent that money towards a Deluxe Memory Man instead.

I have'nt had this pedal long at all so I'm not the guy to be telling people misinformation but Boss makes durable pedals and they don't seem to have many problems so I'd say that this pedal is most likely reliable. I would definitley gig with this pedal and wouldn't see a need for any back up.

Getting a particular sound out of this pedal is as easy. The RE-20 contains a reverb section as well as an echo section each containing 3 knobs (6 total). Reverb contains Bass, Treble and Reverb volume knobs and Echo contains Repeat Rate, Intensity and echo volume. There is also a mode selector knob in the middle containing over ten different repeat and reverb modes along with a reverb only mode. Last there is an input volume knob at the end and a peak indicator at the top. This is a twin pedal with a tap tempo section.