SFX-01 Pickup Booster review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SFX-01 Pickup Booster

Purchased from: eBay

I use this with my Gibson Les Paul Vintage mahogany and Fender Standard Strat H/S/S through an Epiphone Valve Junior Head and the matching extension cabinet. It is a bit noisy, but not unbearably so. The noise is really a factor of the boost itself. This pedal doesn't sound good when run into other pedals too much, but sounds great alone. The effect is really strong if you turn the knob past the 16db marker. It makes my Les Paul purr and my Strat quack.

I play blues/rock and some other stuff, but the bottom line is this pedal sounds great for any style. It just adds flavor to the guitar's sound, adding only to the tone you already had. I really love how it sounds through a tube amp with a strat on the neck pickup with the volume on 3 or 4. Just plain awesome. If this were lost/stolen, I would replace it without a thought.

It hasn't given me any problems yet, and it is very sturdy. Whole chassis is metal, only plastic is the knobs and the inputs. All the parts seem to be firmly secured onto the chassis. The sound is very consistent, however it can be a bit too loud at times. No real complaints with this pedal. I would gig it without a backup, but I don't gig, I just play with friends sometimes.

This pedal is an absolute no-brainer. Just has a chicken head knob controlling the amount of boost, an on/off switch, and a 3-way resonance toggle. The boost goes from 6db to 25db. I wouldn't worry about the resonance switch, it doesn't really do much. There is a manual, and it is available on the Seymour Duncan website.

V_mike
    It's about 80 USD brand new, but I don't know the exchange rate...
    Roxor_Mc0wnage
    I must disagree with you here V_mike, the resonance switch does a ton depending on what guitar you play through. It lowers the resonance frequency by about 3db in position 1 and 5-6db in position 2 making your resonance fatter and taking a single coil guitar and making it sound more like an active humbucker. Its not a very subtle thing either, it makes strats sound mean!