SFX-01 Pickup Booster review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SFX-01 Pickup Booster

Purchased from: thomann.de

I use a Fender Standard Tele and a Peavey Classic 50 212. As Telecasters are pretty noisy, you'll get more noise when the Booster is active, becuase it amplifies the noise of yout guitar, so I recomment a Noise Surpressor in front of the pedal. The effect is quite good when I'm using the lead channel. The distortion becomes stronger and harsher until I turn the gain knob past 2 o'clock, then, nothing happens anymore; the amP's just saturated. Clean, the pedal makes everything louder, but it eats a bit of transparency and brilliance, so I don't use it often when I'm playing clean. The resonance Switch works good, but It really just changes the resonance, it doesn't make your guitar singlecoild sound like a high output humbucker... the sound stays crispy like Telecasters normally sound. The Switch is still nice as the normal Tele-hum is less noticable when it's lower, so I often use the Switch when I'm in lead channel. I bought the pedal because I wanted to have more Overdrive without affecting my tone, and it does that very well, but I give only 9 points here because it eats brilliance when you play clean.

If it would break, I's replace it immediately, because other boosters (e.g. MRX Micro Amp) sound far too messy, this one sounds nearly as good as the original signal. I know that there are much cheaper boosters, but I'd still buy this one. It would be great if it had tone controls, but you can't have everything.

It's a tank. I have it for 5 month now and gigged with it several times and I never had a problem with it. I trust this pedal, I don't even bring a backup. Batteries last quite long (about 3-4 month), but I use the power adaptor of my pedal board. The pedal takes 9-12V adaptors.

Not much to say here. there's a on/off Switch, one knob to control the amount of boost (=>more volume in clean channel, more Overdrive in lead channel)and the resonance Switch that is intended to change the sound of your single coils to the sound of a humbucker. Everything is also in the manual.

slayerfrk
    how does this thing sound for a high-gain metal sound on a single coil neck pickup?