SFX-01 Pickup Booster review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SFX-01 Pickup Booster

What I love about this pedal, you can make a powerful passive humbucker (14k ohms to 17.7K ohms) have the drive of an EMG active pickup with out the over compression or killing of dynamics. This pedal could probably make cheap pickups sound better too. I run DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle, GFS, DragonFire, Tone Riders, Bill Lawrences and Carvin pickups... And the Pickup Booster makes those pickups more versatile. And another good thing about this pedal is when you have it switched off, it stays out of the signal path, leaving your tone intact.

This a very clean signal booster that can make a single coil (in mode 1) sound like a evil humbucker or you can mellow out a high gain humbucker (mode 2) to sound like a medium powered humbucker. In mode zero, you only get a boost function. I have two: the first as a tone modifier/boost before going into a Boss GE 7 band EQ (used for distortion dynamics), then to a VHT Valvulator, a DigiTech RP-12, a DigiTech RP-1, another VHT Valvulator, then to Rack #1 with BBE 462 Sonic Maximizers, Hush/Rocktron Noise Reduction units, two DOD 32 band EQ's and a Behringer 1124 Feedback Destroyer Pro (for parametric EQ'ing) and finally my DigiTech 2112 SGS rack unit. Having one here gives me the option of boosting the signal when I lower the volume knob on the guitar to get certain tonal voicing while keeping my noise gate open.

The second S.D. Pickup Booster is in the effects loop of my old DigiTech RP-1. In the effects loops ( in order) a MXR 10 band EQ, a BBE Stomp Sonic, the S.D. Pickup Booster and a Hush pedal for noise reduction. Here, I have the Pickup Booster in mode zero with a 6db boost to drive my tone with more gain. Sometimes, I'll go down and hit the resonance switch to give my single coils more punch. I got both Pickup Boosters when they first came out and it was easy to figure it out, how to apply it and know where to put these pedals in the signal chain.

Playing guitar since 1978, teaching since 1986, toured the U.S.A. and Canada. Owned many different guitars, amps, effects pedals and other guitar products. I play 1980's metal, neoclassical metal, blues, thrash, speed metal, classic rock ('60s, '70s, '80s) and instrumental music.

This is, as stated earlier, is a breeze to operate, in the studio and on stage. I love this unit, it not only boosts the signal, it also sculpts the tones you can get from every type of guitar or style you play. In many ways, the Pickup Booster is a class all it's own because it does more than the average booster pedal out there.