SFX-02 Tweak Fuzz review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SFX-02 Tweak Fuzz

Purchased from: Musicians Friend Online

My Tweak Fuzz is running through multiple amps that range anywhere from a Epiphone Valve Jr. to a Peavey JSX half-stack. As far as guitars go, I'm using a Fender Cyclone II, and a Schecter Ultra (Tuned to C). The Tweak Fuzz is a great fuzz pedal for replicating deeper sounds and fat fuzz tones it certainly wiped the floor with the other pedals I tried including at least 3 Arbiters, and a plethora of Boss, and Electro Harmonix pedals. This pedal can capture some signature tones such as those from Kyuss and Queens Of The Stone Age without any problems, and with a little bit of noodling you can get anything from some nice Cream tones, to some destructive Fu Manchu fuzz. Batteries aren't an issue, and will last a long time with regular use, and the level of fuzz stays pretty consistent. However there is an issue with noise; the pedal makes a lot of hissing and hum, but it's within acceptable levels and if not there is always the option of a noise gate.

I play a lot of hard rock and this pedal matches perfectly, it may not be what a metalhead is after but it does allow for a unique sound. I've been playing for ~6 years now and I own more pedals than I care to remember, I also work in a music shop so I have access to loads of different gear. The one gripe I do have with the Tweak Fuzz is the lack of fine tuning tone controls, but aside from that it has quickly reached the rank of my favorite distortion pedal. If my Tweak Fuzz were stolen or lost, I would die a little on the inside there are many Tweak Fuzzes like it, but this one is mine.

If Boss pedals are built like tanks (As I for one know) then the Tweak Fuzz is built like a fallout shelter, 1/4' thick steel, reinforced knobs and thick circuit boards make this a heavy and durable beast. I would certainly use this at a gig without a backup, and I would accept a dare not to bring any extra batteries or an adapter. I would bet money on this pedal being far more durable than any Boss pedal on the market.

The Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz is an extremely easy to use pedal; it has three knobs, and a small instruction sheet full of presets that sound good right out of the box. The "Tweak" knob makes it easy to go from light Overdrive to indiscernible in a matter of seconds.