SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem

Purchased from: Proguitarshop.com

This is a distortion pedal, and it really can gain up your amp to the moon and back. If you own a cheaper amp that has weak distortion, then this pedal will make it sound like never before. I have used many distortion pedals before, and this is the best by far. Sounds great on a mid gain, range setting, and a high gain range. With the boost Switch, you can get 4 or 8 dbs of power added to the original amount of gain you added on. Sounds great on 4db, a solo setting, and insane sustain and deepness of distortion on the 8db setting. Like I said, you can get any amount of gain you want from this pedal, because it is so versitile. The high plate voltage and 100% vacuum tube signal path allow the tubes to operate at their fullest potential and provide maximum dynamic range. The only bad flaw on this pedal is that you can not use just the gain boost without the other side of the pedal on. On the bright side, it has fully encapsulated toroidal transformer for a quiet no-hum or buzz, for recording and before the concert.

Overall impression: very satisfied! I love the great graphics on the pedal, and the sound range you can get from this pedal. This is the one tube pedal to rule them all! If it were stolen or lost, I would definitly buy this pedal again. I love the versitilty of it, of how in one stomp you go from classic rock to crazy solo. My favorite feature is the boost, and I like it on 4dbs, becasue it's just enough to really crunch if you have the gain on medium on a classic rock solo. I compared it to the Boss-DS1 and the distortion out of a Line 6 Spider III amp, and this is the most versitile. I wish this pedal had a few brothers and sisters by Seymour Duncan for other effects like chorus, where I can get the same versitility and tone quality.

This pedal screams to high heaven, and because it is a Seymour Duncan, it is very reliable. I would definintly use this on a gig! It has modified tubes, a duet of premium, mil-spec, subminiature, USA-made Phillips-Sylvania 62051 pentode tubes, so that you will basicly never need to change them your entire life. So you can do a years worth of gigs without changing the tubes and not even worry about it! it's made of a steel chasis so if you drop it, it should be no problem.

Right off the bat, this new pedal from Seymour Duncan looks ready to shred. It's as simple to use as 1 2 3. Off is your clean sound. On is your classic rock-metal sound. On with 2 different boosts gives you a solo sound. This is a top-of-the-line product made to last with your simple bass, mid, treble, gain, and volume knobs. On the more fancy side, when you get used to those settings, you have a switch for high and low hz.

COBHCHCDR
    duzit89
    COBHCHCDR wrote: I bought it tried it out and returned it. For me the tone sucked and it didn't have enough distortion for extreme metal. Maybe if you boosted it it would but I didn't like the sound so I returned it. Try it out before you buy it!
    this clearly isn't a METAL distortion pedal.. try out a MXR Fullbore or Digitech Hardwire.
    charlieg1314
    I've had this pedal for about a year now, and I love it. I had to find it on eBay since its been discontinued. All I paid was $90.00, which was sweet. For those of you saying this isn't the pedal for extreme metal you have to be out of your minds! I can dial in distortion for any type of metal/rock with it. I've had no problems with mine. It's built like a tank.
    SonOfDoom
    I've had this pedal since around May (I think...) and use it constantly. It may seem expensive but you just won't need any other distortion pedals once you get this beauty! As the reviewer pointed out it's extremely versatile, and sounds so damn good you won't ever want to put your guitar down. I'm not a big fan of effects (prefer to let the tone and riffs do all the work) and the only pedals in my rig are the Mayhem and a Behringer EQ pedal; an endless range of sounds can be had from these. If, like me, you're a metal-head who hasn't got a couple of grand spare for a decent tube amp, you need a Twin Tube Mayhem.
    sawn666
    ive got this pedal this morning, i really was happy bout it.. then i plugged it in and i just thought thats the biggest crap ive ever heard.. maybe some guys like the sound, i hate it. i think, its not worth it for 230 bucks. really try before u buy it.