SN-8 Clip On Tuner Review

8.5
 3,350
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
SN-8 Clip On Tuner Reviewed by: rich.weber, on june 26, 2013

Ease of Use: I got this as a freebie from guitar center when I bought my satin series hand rubbed American strat and case. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I got it home and immediately unboxed it.

It came with a little silk bag which I immediately lost. Which is ok because ever since I took it out of the box and put batteries in it, it's been on the headstock of my guitar.

This thing is basically idiot proof. Clip it on, turn it on, and pluck a string. It's that simple. Good for quick alternate tuning, to say drop d, or open e, etc. // 10

Sound: This thing has no sound ... None ... And this would be fine if were JUST a tuner.

However, when you switch it to metronome mode, it would be nice if there was a little audible tick. Metronome is not very usable as a result since you have to look away frequently to observe finger positioning, or look at sheet music, or a tab or something.

I tried to use it for fretboard memorization drills that I do, and it was a miserable failure. I can't stress enough how this is just a MAJOR oversight on the part of Snark. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Pretty well built, no flimsy parts. Seems to be made from ABS high impact plastic and some durable rubber. It's also very small so a drop from the neck of a guitar would probably not phase it that much. It has no moving parts to break, and the few part that there are just snap together. Then only thing I can see developing any problem at all would be the clip, but that's even hard to imagine. I mean, aside from bouncing this thing off of a wall I don't see it being subject to taking much damage from every day use. You'd pretty much have to bounce it off of a wall. Expect it to last for years. // 1

Overall Impression: I like it. It has a very simple design, and is so simple to use, that you don't even have to read the instructions. The easily visible backlit display makes it easy to see, even in dark dingy bars you may be jamming in. Really convenient for quick alternate tunings. It could use an audible beep or tick on the metronome feature, in fact it really needs that badly, but it didn't even bother me until I knew there was a metronome feature. I would recommend this thing for jams, but probably not practice due to the lacking metronome. // 7

Comments