ST-200 Turbo Tuner review by Sonic Research

Sonic Research: ST-200 Turbo Tuner

Purchased from: Sonic Research website

It is true bypass and has no effect on my tone when it is in my chain. I checked it with a few pedals and by itself against going straight in to my amp. I could not discern a difference of when it was in the chain or not, unlike my wah, which is a bit of a tone suck. It does let a little signal bleed through when engaged, but nothing that you could hear more than a couple feet from the amp. I imagine than is part of being true bypass.

I am blown away by this pedal, it is well built, easy to use, accurate, precise and only slightly more expensive than the needle/light pedals that it categorically beats. I looked at Boss, Peterson, Korg and Planet Waves tuner stomp boxes, and this is better than any of them. It is more precise than any but the Peterson, and as well built as any. The Peterson costs about 80 dollars more than the ST-200, and the Peterson is not half as robust as this tuner, and they are both equally as accurate, but this ST-200 is much easier to use.

All metal, very solidly built, like many well-built boutique pedals. Much better built than the Peterson pedal tuner, which is mostly plastic. I would certainly trust this tuner without a backup. It is all metal, with standard screws holding it together. The screen is thick plastic or glass and is held on by allen bolts.

It is a strobe tuner, so it took a little bit to get used to. Much easier to use than the Strobe Tuners I have used it the past though. If the lights circle clockwise, it is sharp, if they are moving counter-clockwise, it is flat. Once I got used to it, it is easier and much more precise than needle/light tuners I have used in the past. This pedal makes setting the intonation a breeze! I used my Boss TU-2 Needle type tuner to set my intonation soon after I got my Les Paul. I didn't realize how off it was until I got this tuner. I re-set it pretty quickly and my guitar sounded so much better. It encouraged me to reset my neck and string height too. Now my guitar feels and plays like the fine piece of craftsmanship that it is. I helped my friends set their intonation too, after the third guitar I have set up, I am amazed on how fast and accurate I can do this now set intonation with this pedal. Easy to read on stage/while playing and a convenient cut-off for my guitar when I want to set it down.