Soundblox 2 Orbital Modulator SA226 Review

manufacturer: Source Audio date: 07/04/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Source Audio: Soundblox 2 Orbital Modulator SA226
The Source Audio Orbital Modulator has great sounding effects. 99% of the time, they always sound good. However, getting the exact sound you want takes a bit/a lot of tweaking. However, the high amount of parameters and variations of effects allow you to get exactly what you want.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.9
 9.8
 2,980
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Soundblox 2 Orbital Modulator SA226 Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on july 04, 2013

Purchased from: Performance Music Center

Ease of Use: The Source Audio Orbital Modulator has great sounding effects. 99% of the time, they always sound good. However, getting the exact sound you want takes a bit/a lot of tweaking. However, the high amount of parameters (speed, depth, delay, feedback, mix, volume, lo retain, and tremolo) and variations of effects (4 phasers, Un-Vobe, 2 chorus, 3 flangers, 2 resonators) allow you to get exactly what you want. Also, the manual is helpful because it showed how to save effects and said what each effect does and how they differ. // 9

Sound: The effects of the Orbital Modulator always sound strong (but never noisy) thanks to the volume and mix parameters. The effects also sound great either distorted or clean. This is true even through my crappy Peavey Vypyr 15, which doesn't even have an fx loop (though I put the pedal behind my HardWire TL-2 to emulate an fx loop). The high amounts of parameters allow the exact sound you want, and exact signature sounds. I don't use artist sounds often, but the one I use most is Tom Morello's flanger tone (like on "Wake Up"). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I can depend on the Source Audio Orbital Modulator. It has a stereotypical rugged chasis. It can probably take multiple small drops. Just treat it like any other piece of electrical equipment. Do not drop it from high places. Do not put it in water/other liquids. Do not run it over with a large vehicle. Bottom line: Be smart. I can confidently say a smart person purchasing this will not need a backup. I bought it without worrying about having to replace it, and I'm sure things will stay that way. // 10

Overall Impression: Pros: has presets (I chose it over the Marshall Regenerator), has multiple variations of effects, has more parameters than individual pedals, has close-if not exact-quality of individual pedals, is small and relatively affordable (chose it over the Line 6 MM4 and TC Electronic Nova Modulator for this reason), has the ability to have true or buffered bypass, sounds good clean or distorted. Cons-Only TWO presets (have to write down settings. Can't use more than 2 FX per song). Footswitch operation can be odd at first (I somehow cut the volume off one preset, but not the other). I love the Phaser (any), dual chorus, and classic flanger. I would buy again if stolen.

// 10