Violet Ram's Head Review

7.8
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Violet Ram's Head Reviewed by: stykerwolf, on july 27, 2010

Purchased from: www.stompunderfoot.com

Ease of Use: Super easy to use three knob pedal (volume, tone, sustain). The tone sweep is incredibly wide and the sustain knob is very usable and user friendly. The sustain knob gives you a real usable distortion ranging from heavy Overdrive to fuzz to ultimate nuclear meltdown. The tone knob is more versatile then a 3Band Parametric EQ, and that's something to think about when talking about one knob versus three. // 10

Sound: The pedal exceeds at every sound it puts out, and obliterates other pedals I've played with. This is THE ultimate muff pedal in my experience, the NY and Sovtek Big Muffs have nothing against this tone machine. This pedal does the Eric Johnson and David Gilmour tone pretty nice if you ask me, it's pretty smooth but yields a certain compression and tightness within the low end for a creamy lead tone. This pedal is only noisy with single coils if you max out the sustain, and that's just from the nature of single coil pickups and not the pedal. As for clarity, this pedal is it, it picks up all your little mistakes and it's very unforgiving, that's what I love about this pedal! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank, very nice wiring, and hell yeah I'd trust Matt's pedals with my life if I had to, perfectly wired and no problems at all. From what I saw this thing is hand made with fine components and very neat wiring. I would use this pedal on a gig without a backup, there's no way it could break down on me, not with this wiring! // 10

Overall Impression: The best big muff pedal I've ever owned/heard/played. Tone in a box and no doubt about it! I've been using it for a couple of weeks and even if I used this for 10 years I would still love it and never remove it from my board. If it were stolen I would like to try the Non Violet Ram's Head for a change, who knows I might like that more... I compared it to the EHX big muffs, and those are a joke next to this one. // 10

Comments