Koko Boost review by Suhr

Suhr: Koko Boost

Price paid: C$ 160

Purchased from: Kijiji

Just plug this thing in and you'll see. On the left side, you essentially get your clean signal, just a little louder. So if you like your clean sound, but still want a bit of a kick at times, you'll love the uncoloured boost. Also, if you want to change up your tone a bit for the boosted solos for example, the mid boost cuts right through the mix, and gives you somewhat of an added dimension. No manual in the box, and though there is one online, chances are you won't need it. Two knobs and a three-way toggle - it cant get much simpler.

On the left side, it's got an incredible transparent boost. Takes the signal you put in, and sends it out boosted, but uncoloured. On the right side, it boosts your signal, but with an emphasis on the mids. The frequency switch in the middle allows you to select from boosting your high-mids, low-mids, or straight mids when using the right side of the pedal. The toggle is an added tool in itself, just because you can select low-mids to help beef up rhythm sections, high-mids to cut through for soloing, or straight mids to just "add" to whatever it is you're playing. Also has a buffer built in to keep your signal strong when using long cable runs.

I haven't gigged with this pedal (yet), but I have no reason to believe it is anything but a tank. I'm gentle at home, but I really can't wait to throw it on stage and beat the hell out of it! Solid enclosure, secure knobs, tough footswitches/toggle, and a bada-s finish without a mark on it. Everything on the inside is neat, tidy, and appears to be as tough as the exterior, including the true-bypass/buffer switch. I would definitely gig it without a backup. This thing is solid, and there's nothing else to say.

I play a mix of country, blues, rock, some metal, and a little funk. I really love the way this pedal responds to my acoustic as well. If I want any heavier crunch sounds, I love running the mid-boost into my BD-2. I find the cleans astonishing though when I plug in my acoustic, and want a boost of a push with the left side. I run this pedal without a battery, but if need be, it will run off of a 9V. If this is the case, the pedal will switch itself from buffered to true bypass when the battery life gets too low. If this pedal was ever stolen, I'd absolutely buy another, even though I'd never find it at this price again. I've always been weary about reviews that are all 10 stars, but I cant find a single good reason to dock this pedal of any points. It rips.

peppersghost08
    I know Guthrie Govan keeps this thing in his pedalboard, sounds freakin' gnarly from what I've heard of it!