Riot review by Suhr

Suhr: Riot

Purchased from: Ebay

I have tried this with my Hamer Chaparral Elite (with sustainiac), a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, also a 7 string Schecter Hellraiser and a PRS SE Custom 22 through a Peavey Classic 50 and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and it sounds amasing with all of them. I also have a TS 9, MXR Black Label Chorus, MXR Micro Flanger, Boss Noise Suppressor, Boss RV 3 Digital Delay/Reverb and a Line 6 M5 in my chain and the Riot sound great with all of them. With the TS 9 it sounds incredible (with the volume of TS 9 at 5 o clock and Drive a zero) and you can get any sound you want with this combination. It can get a bit noisy so the noise suppressor is a must. This is the best distortion pedal I have tried in my 24 years of playing metal and I have tried ALOT of them. It handles anything from Guns N' Roses to Lamb Of God (and heavier then that with the TS 9).

I play in 3 metal bands. 1 old school death metal, 1 thrash metal and 1 Metallica tribute band and it fits all those styles. I have been playing for 24 years and have alot of gear. Some of it I have mentioned but I also have a Schecter C-7 Blackjack, Vox cooltron valve tremolo, BOSS DS-1 (just got a Keeley mod for it) Boss Stage tuner, Vox Valvetronix 50 watt and a Line 6 Pocket POD espress. If it got stolen I would cry like a baby and beg my wife to let me buy a new one. I love everything about it. The voice Switch is a really cool feature and my favorite sound is the midddle setting. I did ALOT of research before buying this and tried or listened to every high end metal pedal out there. This one sounded most natural so I bought it and will never regret it. It's perfect for me.

I am already gigging with it with all 3 of my bands and it's as reliable as a pedal can get. The buttons are plastic but the rest of it is all metal. This pedal will probably outlast me since I doubt tanks are as well built as this and I will not need a backup (couldn't afford more anyway).

Now this is my first review on Ultimate Guitar and what a product to start with I must say. This is a distortion pedal and the controls are pretty basic: Volume, Tone and Distortion and also a 3 way voice switch. It's extremely easy to get a good sound out of this pedal and it was designed to use on the clean channel of an amp. With the Drive at 5 o clock it sounds really similar to my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Drive sound and at 12 it sounds really similar to a Marshall JCM 800. This is the only distortion pedal I have tried that sound just like an amp. The manual for this is short but then again you really don't need it since its impossible to go wrong with this pedal.

mcarter@acp-inc
    I own the Riot also and love it ! I have also owned several other top rated distortion pedals and this is my favorite. I concur with this review
    stratomaster123
    My friend has this pedal and it's disgusting how clean it can get if you roll down the volume on the guitar. I didn't even know that he had the thing on!
    Andragon
    So you have a Dual Rec and you don't think it's enough for Death/Thrash metal?! Damn. Good review though.
    Trassi
    Well actually I do use the Dual Rectifier drive but sometimes when we play festivals we cant use our own equipment and thats when the Riot comes in handy and also I use it at home with my Peavey classic 50 cause it doesnt have enough drive for metal.