Bloody Mary Distortion review by T-Rex

T-Rex: Bloody Mary Distortion

Purchased from: Used

I primarily play it with a Jazzmaster equipped with a humbucker (Duncan SH-/TB-10) in the bridge position, into a Roland Jazz Chorus. The sound is tight as f*ck, absolutely killer. No noise, no living a life of its own, incredibly responsive - this pedal feels almost like an extension of your guitar (or yourself). But where its sound really shines is its versatility. It can do more or less any type of metal or heavy rock, from piercing old school black metal tones via modern death metal to almost fuzz-like doom/stoner - roll back on treble and set bass to the max and you can almost smell some of that sweet smoke; do the opposite and that smoke is coming from a burning Norwegian church. At the right settings it also works wonders for that shoegaze/heavily distorted alternative rock sound - like the early Jesus And Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine.

I've been playing guitar for about eight years, and this is - as far as pedals I've tried myself go - the best heavy metal pedal out there, without question. As I mentioned, its versatility is completely unrivalled thanks to its EQ control system and its responsivity across all frequencies. I initially bought it mostly to use as a high-gain pedal on my "shoegaze" board, but its many great metal tones have had me playing quite a bit of Sleep, Death and Burzum as well, and it really nails all those sounds. If it was lost, stolen or against all odds broke down, I'd get another one immediately.

When I first got it I was surprised at how light it was. Judging from the pics and its Solid Metal casing one would think that it weighs significantly more than a pound, but that isn't the case. It does however not have that "cheap" feel that light pedals usually do, so I'm not expecting it to fall apart any time soon. Would definetely gig it without a backup.

No problem setting it up and getting quality tones. It's got six different controls, which may be a bit more than the average distortion pedal, but they're all pretty obvious - knobs for gain, volume, bass, mid and treble, and a "body" switch that fattens up the tone somewhat. Didn't get a manual as I bought it used, but there is absolutely no way you can go wrong with controls as simple as these.