ToneBug Distortion review by T-Rex

T-Rex: ToneBug Distortion

Price paid: € 79

Purchased from: Thomann

The sound includes varieties from trebly bluesy settings with low gain to fuzzy warm heavy distortion. Well, for blues I still use a tubescreamer because it is the ultimate overdrive. But I bought it for solos and with that usage I am very satisfied. I am not a professional player but I've got mid-class standards. Maybe my equipment gives a small insight: Gui- Ibanez SZ520 = Humbucker (New Price: around 400-500 Euro) Gui- Godin Progression = Single coil (New Price: around 780 Euro) Amps- Ibanez TSA15H Tube + H&K 100w Cabinet OR Engl Straight 100w Tube Effs- Digidelay, Ibanez WD7 Wah, Zakk Wylde Crybaby. I am very satisfied with nearly all equipment I bought. I think the price for all, also the T-Rex is it worth. The T-Rex sounds good with all these other pedals, guitars and amps. To get to know my sound sensation here are some artists I prefer: Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Creed, Deftones, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, System Of A Down, Oasis, Muse, Tito And Tarantula. Ultimate sound ideal: Joe Bonamassa!

I've been playing for seven years, used Engl Tube Amps, many pedals from Boss and DigiTech. Only wish I had if I was a beginner I would have had a second channel and knob. So that you got one crunchy or bluesy distortion for riffs and another "channel" for solos. But I think this wished pedal exists for 80 Euros more (T-Rex Dr. Swamp). But I do not need it necessarily.

Metal case! Nothing left to say! Ok, to fill out these claim of 250 words: it makes an impression that it is very reliable. I did not throw it against the wall or similar things. Ok, I am very carefully with all my pedals, the only bad experience I had were plastic knobs from a DigiTech RP80 which disappeared in the case after pushing them every day for one year. But with these T-Rex pedal that cannot happed due to it has metals potis.

This Distortion Pedal has got three knobs to adjust the sound. The knobs are "Gain", "Tone" and "Level". In the manual there are different examples of positions which give you e.g. a tubescreamer blues, a warm riff or a heavy solo sound. The power connection and cable-in- and outputs are on the upside. The battery box is accessible from below, not very difficult to open. But I do not use batteries generally. So I did not open it more than once. Only 9 from 10 points because the the foot switch knob is not the invention that currently exist in my dreams (a mix between a tiny metal knob and a big rubber surface).

emptypockets11
    Ich schreibe extra in deutsch, damit so ein offensichtlich humanistisch hoch gebildeter Schwätzer 'mal etwas zum knacken hat! Es geht hier um ein Fusspedal, Tretmine, wie man sagt, nicht um anglizistische Exzesse. Meine Güte! Selten so einen arroganten Blödsinn gelesen. So, jetzt zeige 'mal, was Du drauf hast!
    MrKnister
    alles7 wrote: quite possibly the worst review i have ever read...
    Why? Please give me constructive criticism, so i can do it better next time. Thanks!
    br549826
    It sucked. In the first place, wtf is "mid-class"??? Secondly, have you ever received any formal education, above (U.S.) fifth grade? Approximately 5% of your sentences, were grammatically incorrect. Ex. - First sentence - "This distortion pedal has got three knobs to adjust the sound". When I am deciding to buy anything, I research the item's positive, and negative qualities, verses variables, such as my budget, the location of the seller, the shipping costs, YouTube reviews even though the quality of streaming audio is diminished, and lastly, other people's opinions. That being said, if I read a review, I judge the review based on the reviewer's skill set. Unfortunately, when I see grammatical errors in the first sentence, the merit of the review becomes questionable. When my money is at stake, things like punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling, are also contributing factors, in my decision to trust a reviewer. Luckily, most computers, and tablets, include "Spell Check", which in most cases, identifies errors as you type. I rely heavily on this feature, even though I received very high grades, in what we Americans call English Class. I beg of you to utilize "Grammar Check", if at all possible. You spelled "knobs" correctly, so either you are using "Spell Check, Correct As You Type", or have been educated, to some degree. I purposely ended a sentence with a prepositional phrase, because I'm human. Nobody's perfect. Please accept my criticism, as constructive, rather than (please don't use "then", as so many blithering idiots do), derogatory. ☮