Dark Matter Distortion review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: Dark Matter Distortion

Purchased from: wildguitars.co.il

Pretty easy to get a good tone with it. I tried it on a bass "Vorson VB-35" and still it sound quiet good for an solid state bass amp and a pedal dist. My settings for it are basically: gain at 3 a clock; level at 1-2; bass at 11; treble at 2. It also has a voice switch which give it an extra mid top. And it has a stage ready red led light. It doesn't come with any manual in the original package, you get the pedal specs on the package and you get TC Electronic sticker and advertisement page.

My playing style is basically Guns N' Roses, Dream Theater, Rage Against The Machine, Metallica, blues music, Foo Fighters and Nirvana. My gear is a Schecter Damien Elite 6 with EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 on the neck and my amp is an Blackstar HT-5R. The pedal has really thick tone, lot of mid range but it lack of some bass low end so all you crazy heavy metal guys it may less suit for you, it is great to get guns n roses lead tone like sweet child o mine kind of tone with it.

Basically I would recommended to use this pedal as a lead tone because the lack of bass end, but the tone is really thick and smooth. And one last thing that this pedal is pretty powerful, I use the level knob at 1- 2 a clock over that it's too much loud for me. It has also tiny voice switch which gives you I think you can say Extra mid range top.

Well the pedal looks pretty solid and feel solid, never had a problem with it, it can run on 9V ac adapter or 9V battery, I use it only with the AC adapter. The true bypass switch works well, It could not seems like it's sack some of my clean tone. It's about the size of a 4.3 inch smartphone, it's not that big I think.

It will suit well for live use, it has an red led light which great for dark stages or bright day sun. All the knobs Potentiometers are easy to move and the knobs are clear and you can see your settings from above very clear. The voice switch is a bit small and it between the knobs so it hard to reach but I think that you will don't use it during a show, you will probably just leave it on one of the 2 settings that sounds better for you.

Like I said before I will recommend this pedal for people who would like to play Guns N' Roses, and punk rock music. I find it very clear and good for solos. But if you want heavy bass low end for stuff like Metallica or Slayer with very dirty sound it's not for you. Actually the distortion from it is very clear, and with a lot of mid range, it won't go very treble like other metal branded pedals. You can get good Nirvana tone or Foo Fighters tone. Also it really good for blues stuff, my EMG's are very bright pickups but I find this pedal even on then it won't get trebly. It stays clear and smooth.

TheLiberation
    I've had it for quite a while, and it's a really great pedal, but as noted: it's _not_ for heavy rhythm playing. However, it's absolutely amazing for lead playing and solos - sounds very warm and pleasant even at high gain settings on the highest notes, and it reacts amazingly to picking dynamics. I use my amp distortion for the heavy stuff, but when I need something a bit warmer, this pedal is plain awesome.