Flashback Mini Delay Review

4,074
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Flashback Mini Delay Reviewed by: TTLWes, on february 05, 2015

Purchased from: GC

Ease of Use: It sounds great out of the box as a standard 2290 Digital Delay and is dead simple with the 3 knobs, but the TonePrint editor opens this pedal up to so many more options. Sure there are good toneprints out there you can beam to it, but it's still limited compared to the editor. The editor seems complicated, but just mess with the controls while playing. Most are pretty self explanatory once you dig in. Some people have reported problems with the pedal not working but are usually fixed by updating the firmware. I have not had any problems so I haven't updated it yet. // 8

Sound: I originally bought this pedal for general guitar recording needs. I'm currently using an ES-175 and fender excelsior amp along with some other pedals. The TonePrint editor really opens this pedal up, as does adding a reverb after it in the signal chain. The sound is very musical and I got some great tones after messing with the editor program. Great analog models. The filter and modulation on the bucket brigade and tape settings are actually really nice. I even got some really good sounds running my Korg R3 and Monotron Duo through it. This this is good for long, washy, swirling delays as well as interesting slapback tones.

The standalone modulation toneprints (chorus, flanger) are lackluster. The vibrato sounds decent enough to use. The modulation on the delays sounds fantastic, though. I haven't messed with too many of the other delay models on the editor (there are lots) like reverse or ducking, but I'll bet they sound pretty good.

HOWEVER: I will be returning this pedal in exchange for an analog delay pedal. Why? Mainly because I want self-oscillation. This pedal does have a TonePrint to somewhat simulate that screeching analog goodness, and it does sound cool, but not exactly the sound I want. Also it's just too pristine for my liking, even on the analog models. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's too "digital" sounding. Again, just my preference. I have the budget for one good delay pedal, so EHX it is. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I currently own this and a TC Hall Of Fame Mini, and they both seem pretty solid. I don't usually gig without backups, but if that's not an option I feel that it could be trusted to hold its own for a good while. I've only had it for a couple weeks and have not gigged with it yet (just practice and recording) so I can't comment on its longevity, but as I just said they feel solid enough. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal would probably be a good fit most anywhere you want some good digital delay. Obviously if you want that truly analog saturated sound, go analog. I did enjoy playing it and I may get another one down the road for a dedicated slap or super long feedback delay. I do honestly wish it had a buffered output at least (there's nothing wrong with them, seriously) to keep the delay trails going. I use that feature quite a bit when playing live. I guess the current market dictates true bypass on most everything. // 8

Comments