Flashback X4 Delay & Looper review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: Flashback X4 Delay & Looper

Purchased from: eBay

I found this unit very easy to grasp, saving settings and dialing up ones you want, seem very easy once you sit down and actually look at it, some people expect it to be easy straight away, but you always have to take a bit of time with any pedal. The looper is easy to understand, but again, just that way of switching to the looper, it'd be easier to have an footswitch that you could easily press, rather than bending down to flick it. A brilliant feature about this unit, that convinced me to get it over the Line 6, is it takes 9v, so it'll go straight onto my board, into the voodoo lab, where as, with the Line 6, and others, you have to carry around a special power supply, this means time saved faffing about with one spots.

The sound options for different delays on this thing is amazing, it can achieve lovely spacey delays and echos, all the way to quick rockabilly slapback. I use all 3 save slots, one with a medium pace triple repeat, one with a long delay and the other with a slapback, but there is so much more on this pedal for you to explore, and find your own sound. The looper is really nice, my two issues with are though, you have to flick a switch to activate the looper, the second one joins in with the first, where, when you flick the switch, your saved/selected delay settings do not work, however the controls are set, that's how the delay goes.

So far, I have not had a problem, gigged it extensively. During the set, I often change switch save banks, so it gets used alot, and has never let me down. It feels like it's built like a tank, which is reassuring, when comparing to my bandmates Line 6 delay, the Flashback feels sturdier, the switched seem more durable as well. The controls work nice, smooth and sturdy, along with the switches, feel strong, and not like they're going to pop out or break off. All the inputs and outputs are sturdy. When you pick the unit up, you can really feel the weight, gives you the feeling that casing is mean't to last.

I am really impressed with this unit, granted, if you buy it new, it will cost a fair bit, but, it's worth the money, especially if you can get one at the price I did. The looper issue is my only concern, but I don't really use it too much for the band, just for noodling at home. The stereo input and output are very useful, along with an expression pedal input, which is an incredibly fun thing to have. The tap tempo is a nice feature. This pedal also has a selector for different delay rhythms, I'm not good with music theory so can't really say what they are, but you can create some awesome sounds with it.