G-Major Review

manufacturer: TC Electronic date: 04/10/2009 category: Guitar Effects
TC Electronic: G-Major
It will not take long until your setup with the GMajor behaves as you please and adds to your creativity. With the factory presets your basic needs are most likely covered and you will be set to go within minutes.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.1
 9.2
 3,816
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
G-Major Reviewed by: ibanez350mdx, on april 10, 2009

Ease of Use: This was my first peice of rack gear, and I have to say I was worried at first. But this thing was so easy to operate, I couldn't believe it. The factory presets pretty much suck and are only good for showing off the effects. As far as creating your own presets goes it is really simple. Read the manual first and you shouldn't have any problems editing presets, but if this is your first time using midi the manual can be confusing. I found that my software version didn't match the manual so some effect parameters weren't in the manual, but this was not a big problem. Getting a good sound for me was fairly easy. First get your amp sound the way you want it then set the level in and out of the g-major. Then I set my noise gate to keep the hum quite from my amp. After that I tweak the EQ get more out of my tone not because the g-major colors it. Then all that's left is to add any effects that you like. // 8

Sound: I use Ibanez rg guitars with humbuckers going through a Crate GT212 amp. In the effectsloop I have the g-major running in mono, and it is dead quiet. I have not had any problems with noise what'soever. The effects are crystal clear, and sound great. I really like the reverb and delay. The chorus and flanger are not really over powering unless you want them to be. One of my favorite guitarists isjohn petrucci and I can really get an awesome lead tone with some chorus reverb and delay. I love this piece of gear with distortion, but is really great with the cleans. I just adjust the compressor and eq for a great plain clean that would sound great with any effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have kept this thing in an skb rack case the entire time and haven't had one problem in the last four months. It has taken a beating from traveling back and forth to band practice and handled it beautifuly. I would not have second thoughts about buying it again or using a back up. The only problems I have heard of are that the knobs on the front are kind of delicate so if your careful with those you should be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal from Slipknot to Alter Bridge and this works just fine. I have been playing for five years and wanted to upgrade from my old DigiTech RP200. One of my favorite features is the relay Switch on the g-major. I liked the sound my amp had and just wanted a really nice effects unit that was easy to use. Before buying it I looked at the line six POD X3 Live but after trying it out I realized that it just didn't sound that much better than what I had. I use the g-minor midi pedal to control it and it works just fine for one step preset changes which is what I wanted. If you are looking for areasonably priced rack effects unit I would definitely say try this one out. It just made my whole rig sound better. I really can't think of anything negative to say about it. I love it and I would be very sad if it were stolen. // 9

Comments