G-System Limited review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: G-System Limited

Purchased from: SweetwaterT

It was fairly easy if you have done some effects programming with multiple effects. From Lexicon to Alesis Quadraverb (a KILLER gigging midi processor btw) I have tweaked most out there including Roland, Yamaha, etc etc. It will take 3 stomp effects placing them before delays etc, very cool feature. In fact, you can rack mount the guts & use a Cat 5 cable to run it from a midi pedal board. Very cool forward thinking indeed! Not for the faint of effects programming but yields stellar sounds if digital & harsh doesn't bother you. In a studio it could be great as acoustic guitar sounded awesome!

TC has been known for their hi-fi quality sound for years & having worked in the studio I took the plunge. I must be clear that I have a very analogue ear having grown up with analogue. The reverb, delay, time based effects are stellar but to me just too digital almost sterile sounding. Running through Fuchs ODS 30 I woodshed with everything from country twang with '53 Tele my dad bought new, to Gary Moore with '87 PRS & Strats. Fuchs has parallel or series switch & parallel was best as usual. Dead quiet & pristine the reverbs were stunning.

Built like no effects floor processor I have ever seen or owned. It is so well built it is also heavy to carry to gigs but that wasn't my use for it. Monster stomp knobs, beautiful lighting & striking looks. It appeared to be stainless steel, certainly NOT aluminum. I did notice even stainless will leave a small dent when you drop a stomp box on it, but it is built as good as money can buy. I would think it's near indestructible if taken care of. I bet you could throw it against the wall & it would work... If you are strong enough to throw the beast!

I have played all my life, Cream, Led Zep, Gilmour, country twang, jazz, master of none lover of them all. It's been decades for me & I have loved it dearly. I wish I had listened to one before I bought it, but they aren't at Walmart!.. Although I don't regret it as I learned it wasn't for me due to the time based effects just not warm & woddy. So I parted with it on eBay & moved on as it just didn't suit my warm analogue ears. For those looking for very deep sounds & enough programming to last a lifetime, great!

cbower
    The G-System has a 3 band parametric EQ that can be applied to any preset. that's kinda like changing the eq of your pickups and to my ears, doesnt give you much control. I prefer to EQ after my amps preamp so I have a couple of Fromel Shape eqs in loops 2 and 3(amp effects loop goes into the G's 1st loop and then each of the other loops will come after the preamp. This works fantastic and is as flexible as I could want.
    petetoyne2
    I've been reading about this for two days now comparing with the g major and I don't see anything about EQ. At least the g major says it has a three band parametric but the g system doesn't claim anything. Preset EQ is a very big deal for separate patches' Am I just not seeing it? Even my old digitech rack has programable patch EQ.