Hall Of Fame Reverb review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: Hall Of Fame Reverb

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

This thing is very easy to use. Plate setting seems to be the best middle of the road saturation of reverb. And the tone print is way easy to use. If you have an iPhone just beam the signal to your guitar pickups and it'll switch the tone print right there. Oh, and the knobs are easy to see and nice to push around with your foot on the fly. Which is why I like gigging with it. To set your tone you basically have 4 knobs and a preamp setting. The preamp settings (short or long) basically means that you want your effect to happen BEFORE your latest effect pedal or noise, or after. It makes a difference when you want to set your saturation of reverb. But just keep it at short if you don't know. This thing can also get real wet. Set your level knob to max and the reverb can take over your picking dynamics, which is what some people want. This does not have the ability to change the MOD setting, which is basically a reverb with phaser. So that's too bad. Its okay because I never use the MOD setting anyway. The manual is… okay. Doesn't explain more than the basic functions. In order to understand how to use the reverb pedal (or ANY pedal) musically you have to USE it. No words can describe how and when to use an effect.

Since this is a very versatile pedal I use this when I play solo's in rock gigs, and when I play for my church band during worship times (which is basically rock but a little atmospheric). I'm using it with a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 on clean channel. Its true bypass so no tone suck and its not noisy at all when plugged in. The settings I use on the pedal are Room, Plate, Church, Ambient, and Steve Vai's Ocean Machine toneprint. The Ambient setting is when I'm playing acoustic and I want just a bit of body to my playing, especially If I'm playing by myself. I switch from room to plate to church depending on how intense I want my reverb to be. Church setting being the most intense. Steve Vai's Ocean Machine is the only setting for the HoF that has the shimmer effect, a la Strymon Blue Sky. Though the reverb on it is pretty saturated, so I use it on specific parts of a song. The HoF has all other basics of reverb covered so you really don't need to buy another reverb pedal to cover a specific sound... unless you REALLLLLYYY need that shimmer effect. Then go spend $300 on a Strymon Blue Sky cause that's really all its good for. How bright is the HoF? Not too bright. I keep the tone knob all the way up so its as clear as it gets. I wish it could be pushed to be more bright but even though the brightness may sound real nice when you're playing just by yourself, its not actually a good idea to over saturate yourself with reverb when playing in a band. Just remember, you have other instruments playing with you too.

TC Electronic pedals are built like a rock. It feels tight inside and the pedal is compact. Doesn't take too much real estate of your board. I use the pedal a lot in gigs and the button wear shows it. And I stomp HARD (cause I mean it!). No problems ever. Biggest problem I have is that this thing is a drain on batteries so use a power source. I've had it for over 2 years and gig with it every week. The colour is a deep red, which I LOVE. The finish won't come off. Knobs aren't too sensitive to movement. You could nudge it slightly without worrying that you pushed it too much. And the button has a nice satisfying CLICK to it. I don't like the pedals that have no click to it. I can't confirm if I hit it or not. In a live setting its important to have that.

As a musician that plays many styles of music I don't like to have more than one of the same type of pedal effect. I'm even against having two delays to create that U2 delay stacking sound from the Edge. Because of that I find the HoF to be a jack of all trades, Master of Spring, Plate, Room, and Ambient types of reverb. I have no need for the other settings. The Steve Vai Ocean Machine effect is interesting but too saturated to my tastes. But to date it's the only shimmer effect.

I play with a Godin Progression Boutique which is basically a Fender HSS Strat. This thing works well with single coils. It doesn't remove the quality of your picking dynamics at all. If I lost this thing I wouldn't fret about it as I'd have an excuse to try another pedal, but this one is particularity great to gig with.

Biggest problem I have are that it doesn't have a real shimmer effect. And I really like the Strymon Blue Sky for that. But you don't really NEED it. Also the button on the pedal. Its fairly hard to press. But its designed that way. Its kinda hard to describe it in words but If you were to press it with your finger(s) it takes some effort. But with your foot it doesn't take any effort at all. It takes some getting used to, but its solid and has a satisfying CLICK to it. I tried other reverb pedals in the same price range ($130-180) and this one beats them all in terms of versatility and sound quality. And I'm gonna say it again, get a Strymon Blue Sky for $300 if you REALLLLLYYY want that extra reverb that everybody is talking about. Don't get me wrong, the Blue Sky is amazing, but at $300 for just the shimmer effect, its not worth it. Mooer just built a shimmer reverb pedal but it works much differently than the Blue Sky, so I don't like it. The Electro-Harmonix Cathedral is real nice sounding reverb, but like the Strymon Blue Sky, it's a one trick pony. If I didn't mind having more than one type of effect pedal on my board, then I would pony up the money for these. But I'm not.