MojoMojo Overdrive review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: MojoMojo Overdrive

Purchased from: Lipham Music

I run my Pedalboard with these pedals into a Traynor YCV40 40 Watt Tube Amp on the clean channel. Right off the bad I noticed a certain weakness with the MoJoMojo with the Drive knob. If I crank the Gain I get a useable sound on its on, but for the most part it has a very muddy tone and even with the VOICE switch, it is overboard with low end IMO. Now lets be honest, on its own I'd hate this Pedal, but when combined with a Distortion Pedal or an Amp's Distortion this pedal really truly shines. It has a very Fat tone on its own, almost too fat for Chord work etc, but for Leads when combined with another Distortion it works really well... To the point where I've kept it just for Leads etc. In other words its a great Overdrive for boosting Solos and thickening up your lead tone, but on its own it is a mess.

Overall impression of the MoJoMojo Overdrive is that as a stand alone overdrive to my liking this is NOT an overdrive for me and possibly you. If you however are looking for an overdrive to complement your crunch tones or boost your lead tones, this is THE overdrive for you for that. On its own it sounds week, unless you are pushing a very clean tube amp to near breakup, but if you are not then It probably wont give you the Drive you want on its on. Of course IMO this pedal shines best combined with another Distortion source whether that's a pedal or your amp's drive channel.

YouTube preview picture

TC Electronics makes some hardy and sturdy Pedals built to last. The knobs are slightly stiff in a good way, and I honestly can't Imagine this breaking anytime soon down the road unless under severe abuse. I've used it for only a week though so time will tell, but I'm OCD and after hours and hours of switching it off and on, I am 100% certain it is built very well. What I especially enjoy about it is that the Bass and TREBLE knobs have a center notch which means in their center position they stay in place sense Most of the time I keep Bass and Treble at noon on most of my pedals and just adjust my guitar's tone instead. Knobs move tight which means I usually don't have to worry about easily knocking them out of place.

Pretty straight forward Pedal composed of Drive, Level, Bass, Treble knobs, and a Voice switch which will alter the bass response of the Pedal to match it with what ever pickups you are using. Obviously the Drive knob controls the amount of Overdrive, Level controls the output of the pedal, and Bass, Treble I am sure you can figure out what those do. I will touch more on how these Knobs work in the Sound section but for the most part it's not hard to get this pedal working in your setup with its straight forward approach.