PolyTune review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: PolyTune

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Can't really make much comment on the sound as its not designed to affect it. The pedal kills the output when you turn it on which is extremely useful for live situations and has true bypass. The tuner itself has 3 modes, polyphonic, strobe and needle. The strobe tuner is accurate to +/- 0.5% The poly and needle modes arn't quite as accurate and I personally only use the poly mode to find which strings are out then tune each string one at a time.

My decision to buy this was based on a head to head review of four pedal tuners in a guitar magazine which the Polytune won. It has a near enough identical footprint to Boss units but is much thinner, is probably the easiest tuner to use, and generally looks better than its competitors. I would certainly replace it if it got lost/stolen, though by that time other companies will have jumped on the polyphonic tuning bandwagon so I might try another pedal. Improvements to the pedal would be to make the poly mode more accurate and to have a footswitch to change between tunings (though the tuning only affects the poly mode) otherwise I think TC Electronics have made this a very good pedal tuner and I would recomend everyone should at least try it out.

The pedal is housed in a robust metal casing so I reckon it will take a fair amount of abuse. I wouldn't rely on batteries to power the unit, but it doesn't go through batteries particularly quickly. Personally I use mains power then use the pedals power output to power my other pedals via a daisy chain. I deffinately wouldn't take a backup to a gig.

As simple as tuners can get really, plug in, turn on, strum and tune. The display is easy to understand and always easily visible. Changing the settings is done via 2 buttons on the back of the unit and once set the pedal remembers your settings. The pedal detects how many strings are being played and automatically switches between polyphonic and single mode accordingly. Accesing the battery is simple requiring a Pick or a coin to open the compartment. My only real problem is the footswitch being a button rather than a pad (like on Boss pedals) but this is more personal preference than anything.

ProgJazzMath
    milwaukeerocker wrote: "if you have a 7 string guitar, you're the problem, not the tuner." LMFAO x10!!!!! Also, i couldn't agree more! Hilarious.
    OMG LOL TOTALLY RYTE BCUZ DATS SO GAYZ 2 HAV 7 STRNG L0l m8 please elaborate on what the problem with having a seven string is... before you answer though, think wisely about your response.
    MT_Obsidian
    Disturbdkornkid wrote: Hm, could this be an actually legit all 10 review?!
    I would say so.
    NickGiovanni
    I have this, and it's definitely a 9.5 or so. But, It colors your sound despite the "true bypass" I have to boost my treble to compensate for the poly
    ProgJazzMath
    milwaukeerocker wrote: wow, thanks for the enlightenment Jesus, i never knew any of that stuff. i'm going to run to the nearest guitar shop and buy all their seven string guitars. think i'll cut 5 of the strings off of my 12 string too. But yeah, i'm sure i'll be way too lazy to tune that 7th string, yup, just thinking of it makes my hands feel like they're becoming arthritic. I'll put the 7th on the guitar too, but tune it? No way, that's for amateurs dude!
    Always here if you need me bro
    adstr123
    ProgJazzMath wrote: milwaukeerocker wrote: well, mostly i just thought it was a funny comment. but i must admit that years ago when i saw that the guitar players in Korn were using 7 strings, i figured that since they suck, i probably wouldn't be fond of using a seven string guitar. my six string guitars sound fine, and i now how to tune them to whatever key i desire you see, so, i simply have no need nor want to play a seven string just cuz i saw someone else doing it. i never said seven strings were gay, you did ProgJazzMath. but you're right they are. Haha, please tell me that's not the real reason you think seven strings are bad. Because you don't like the band Korn and they just so happen to play 7 strings. That's hilarious man. I had a feeling you would say something like that though. On the side of tuning, are just too lazy to tune an extra string? I mean, it's fairly simple! Plus you have one more string to extend chords and scales to, so really you can get more done with a 7 than a 6 string. Don't forget that 7 strings aren't reserved for metal bud.
    Dudes, chill. I'm pretty sure this was just meant as a joke originally. Stop getting so uptight, we're just messing, everyone has prsonal preference and if someone doesn't like 7 strings then it's not your place to tell them that they're wrong. Likewise it's stupid to try and bash someone else's opinion, there's nothing wring with 7 strings... OT: Looks like an awesome tuner, when I raise the funds I'm going to pick one up! The power for other pedals via daisy chain is really cool too, great feature!
    sewoo55
    milwaukeerocker
    yup, just having a little fun. some people take themselves a bit too seriously anyways, they get offended easily. no hostility here, just goofing around. more importantly, these are really cool tuners.
    NathanRobbins
    sewoo55 wrote: there are lots of phenomenal guitarists that use 7 string guitars. Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Steve Vai..... need more?
    +1, +1, and +1
    sheriff_nein
    ...that went downhill fast.
    bowen wrote: Wouldn't this fail for 7+ string guitars? That's the downfall I see with this.
    anyway, you could just mute the low string and strum the top 6 for poly mode, and then use chromatic tuning for the low string. but if you wanted a mode specifically for 7 string, no dice