RPT-1 Nova Repeater review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: RPT-1 Nova Repeater

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Like I said above, this thing has some splendid studio quality delays. It has six types of delay which include: Studio, Analog, Tape (almost PERFECT!), Dynamic, Reverse, and Ping-Pong. Along with it's different delay types, it has different note divisions for your delay. Those include: quarter note, dotted eighth note, triplet eighths, quarter note + dotted eighth, quarter note + triplet eighths, quarter note + eight note. My favorite combination is probably the studio delay with the dotted eighths. My favorite examples of delay include Paul Gilbert's "The Echo Song" and Buckethead's "Big Sur Moon". Both songs are easily reproduced with this pedal. This pedal can be used in your effects loop which is currently how I have it set up. It's also stereo but since I just use my half stack, I haven't tried it with another amp. You set up your delay range by selecting one of three ranges and from within that range selection, you use your delay knob to fine tune it. Sounds kind of confusing, but look at a picture of it and you'll understand what I'm talking about. It has a nifty kill-dry feature that is kind of trippy. All that gets sent from the pedal is your delays. The spillover function is kind of nice, too. When you turn your pedal off, rather than it killing all your delays abruptly, it lets them fade out naturally. You also have a cool modulation knob that lets you add either Vibrato or chorus to your delays. I use just a *pinch* of chorus to thicken the sound up a little bit. Next to the modulation knob you have your FX level which adjusts the level of the delays. It's all pretty self-explanitory once you have it sitting in front of you.

Here is my ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT about this pedal. When you hit the ON/OFF button on this, the pedal is still powered up and is only in bypass mode. I prefer my other pedals when you hit the bypass Switch it kills power all together. I have to unplug this pedal from my power supply every time I'm done playing. Other than that, I couldn't be more satisfied with this pedal.

I haven't tried gigging it, but based off of prior experiences with TC Electronic, I would say that you are safe to go without a backup. I still have my Memory Toy on my board, though. Just in case. The buttons don't give you that satisfactory "CLICK" that most other pedals do. They just kind of mush down into the pedal, but they feel solid enough.

I've watched many reviews online of this particular delay pedal before I bought it, so I had a pretty solid idea of how it was going to work before it came. Like all TC products, it had a Stellar instruction manual that really helped explain everything in detail. It's a no frills delay pedal that boasts "no hidden features". I guess that's good for people who want a straightforward, no BS delay pedal (similar to the Boss DD-7 or something). Overall, I would say that it's quite easy to get a GREAT sound out of it. Pristine studio quality delays is what this pedal is all about.

Shady Weezul
    Not a problem, I'm a huge fan of this pedal. I've looked at a few other delays but none of them match the versatility and the cost of this one. It's a big win as far as I'm concerned. Glad the review was helpful.
    jon.peebles
    That's because pedals don't have ON/OFF switches. They have BYPASS switches. Unless you are using a pedal from like the 70s, the power isnt totally cut when you bypass the pedal. The effect circuitry is just...well...BYPASSED.
    Ischi
    I'm a little confused as to how a Boss DD7 is a "BS delay pedal" But solid enough review
    Shady Weezul
    No, you misinterpreted what I meant, my friend. I said that the TC Electronics Nova Repeater is a no BS delay pedal and was referencing the DD7 as another "no BS pedal". I'm a HUGE fan of the DD-3/7 pedals due to their straightforward controls. I'm sorry for the confusion. I have mad respect for the DD-7 and I wouldn't ever consider it a bullshit delay.
    poland
    You did a great job for a review to me. I was looking for one for The Echo Song and really thought I may have gone with the Satch Vox delay as a safe pick but your review help sway my pick back to this. Thanks again ry