Spark Mini Booster review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: Spark Mini Booster

Spark Mini Booster - a compact, more straightforward, slightly less powerful cousin of TC Electronic's Spark Booster - is incredibly easy to operate. A single, sturdy volume knob can be set for everything from a minimal boost all the way to a respectable 20dB boost. A single footswitch turns on the Spark Mini Booster and is indicated by a bright white LED light. The coolest aspect of using the Spark is PrimeTime, a feature that automatically detects whether you want latch switching in classic stompbox fashion, or momentary switching that lasts only as long as you hold down the footswitch. This latter mode is handy for boosting short passages, which is especially nice when singing - there is no need to keep an eye on the status light. And for passages when I wanted to boost in and out multiple times, PrimeTime's auto-engage sense was a godsend. It accurately "knew" when I wanted it to latch, or toggle momentarily. Wow!

The Spark Mini delivered a delightfully transparent boost. It did not add the kind of widening found in some boosts and most overdrives, although the harder I pushed it through a tube amp, the more there was a slight low-end thickening and a welcome high-mid zing. Setting the Level knob at 9 or 10 o'clock was enough for the Spark Mini to lift a solo to the front of a band mix when I used a Fender Stratocaster coupled with a relatively clean sound on an amp with lots of headroom, such as a Fender Pro Reverb. Twelve o'clock was good for crunchier tones, and so on up the scale. The Spark's full 20dB boost turned a saturated amp tone into a scorcher. I also auditioned the Spark Mini Booster in conjunction with other gain pedals. Placing the Spark after a Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive added punch without sounding overwrought. Placing the Spark Mini before the Blackstone pushed its creamy overdrive into Jack White-approved snarling distortion. With a Godin Montreal Premiere or a Gibson ES-339 (both are semi-hollowbody guitars with dual humbuckers) and a Fender Super Champ, the Mini Booster pushed the little Champ into sparkling gain tones, making any additional overdrive pedal practically unnecessary. The Spark is a true bypass pedal; meaning when it's off it's completely out of the signal chain.

I used the Spark Mini for two months and had zero reliability or durability issues, even in some rather extreme circumstances. I brought it to the High Sierra Festival and used it in the camping area where temperatures reached over 100 degrees and heavy winds kicked sand all around. I took it to the Lake Tahoe area for the Guitarfish Music Festival where the altitude was nearly 8,000 feet. I toted it all around the San Francisco Bay area for gigs with the Police tribute band, Stung. The Spark Mini survived tons of tossing around and getting kicked on and off under full-force, high-energy rock and roll circumstances.

Boosters are typically as small and straightforward as pedals come, but the Spark Mini is especially compact. TC Electronic effectively crammed a quality booster into a sturdy metal box about the size of a salt shaker. It's about a third the size of a standard Boss pedal or two-thirds the size of the Lizard Leg Effects Flying Dragon booster I already had on my pedalboard (they sounded sweet together too). The Spark Mini Booster was obviously not big enough to house a 9-volt battery, especially considering the small chassis is packed with discrete analog circuitry. That would make it super convenient, but I didn't mind too much since I already had a 9V string going for my other pedals. Players searching for an affordable booster with a serious Napoleon complex need to audition the powerful little Spark Mini Booster. In fact, practically any player could surely find a use for such a utilitarian unit regardless of rig or pedalboard circumstances. Players who already own gain boosters might want to consider the Spark Mini for use in combination or as an affordable, incredibly portable backup.

erockp
    Wow! Just picked one of these up yesterday and gigged with it last night- this is the Holy Grail of enhancement/clean boost for those of us who play Stratocasters and prefer a very clean amp setting. I found myself using this pedal full-time on certain songs, altering the volume on my guitar just because, as the name implies, it added a "spark" to my sound- the only way I can explain it is that it allowed my guitar to stand out in the mix more even during quieter passages. Strats sometimes have a tendency to be very thin in the final mix of a band: this solves that problem completely. Also a real plus: it it virtually noiseless and the momentary mode of the switch is TOTALLY awesome for licks between singing that may need a lil "push". Amen TC Electronic brothers.... you did it right for under $100.
    Gunsguitars69
    I just purchased this pedal, it is friggin excellent. It doesn't alter your tone, it is simple and the PrimeTime feature is brilliant.
    Gunsguitars69
    By the way, as far as size is concerned, I couldn't believe how combact this thing is, I laughed when i opened the box. This is not a negative comment by any means.
    ratbertovich
    I'd have named the footswitch "magic" and the pot "more magic". It manages to bring out a very nice tone even from crappy amps. Great effect for enhancing your sound.