AGP-1 review by Tech-In-Mind

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Tech-In-Mind: AGP-1

Purchased from: Hong Kong

I have a very professional rack rig and was looking to replace my digital rack effects with this unit. The AGP-1 is very quiet. I was astounded that there is virtually no noise, even with the Metal Distortion card enabled and at high gain. That's a big plus. Also, the delay just sounds fantastic. The chorus sounds okay. The auto-wah sounds okay, but cannot compare to my real Budda Wah. Here are the things I was not happy with: The compressor/gate is very hard to adjust. It seems like it is always smushing the signal even with all controls set to zero (is that off? I don't know.) The octave pedal is horrible. For one, I cannot hear a high octave at all, just the lows. And the signal on the lows is choppy and clicks.

My overall impression is average. I was only blown away by 2 of 6 effects, and the GUI to control those effects is obsolete/rudimentary at best. I think one could find a delay pedal that does just as good of a job for about half the price of this unit. Buyer beware - there is a "no return" policy on this unit.

I was concerned straight out of the box, because the box does not sit level on the floor (you know, like a chair with one short leg, it wobbles.) Other than that, it appears to be fairly well made mechanically. I would take it to a gig without a bubba backup.

It took quite a while to get any sound out of it. Once I happened upon the correct button press sequence, it was okay from there. The unit operates in two different modes, pedal and patch. I wanted to use it in pedal mode so I could just turn different effects on or off. I was able to get some nice sounds for the various cards (except Octaver), and was starting to enjoy playing with this unit. Then I pulled the plug to move it and lost all of my parameter settings. If there is a SAVE sequence, it is not mentioned in the manual under pedal mode (just in PATCH mode). Editing is okay once you figure it out, but it is still bothersome to have the LCD flashing/changing all the time, and with adjustments that are sometimes two levels deep in the menu structure.