AGP-1 Review

4.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
AGP-1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2010

Purchased from: Tech-in-mind

Ease of Use: There is a little bit to get used to with this effects processor such as adjusting the effects and naming the patches but overall it is very easy to use and set up. I give it a 9 because the user manuel is 2 pages and I still had a few questions after reading it. There are firmware updates and I have updated 2 times already. The only digital part about the processor is the LCD screen which is a bit small. The tuner, mixer, and amp sim are very easy to use and engage. Customer Service deserves a perfect 10! They answer every question in detail and even respond on weekends. They have not let me down once. // 9

Sound: I am using a PRS SE with a pearly gates bridge pup and a jazz neck. I run the guitar into AGP-1 into a Boss GT-10. I use the stereo out to go to my Fender Super Champ and Vox VT-50 amps. The sounds are great with no added noise that I can Pick up on. The effects board comes with 6 of 10 available analog slots for effects. Comp/noise gate: Very good in its own right. I happen to use a analog man bi-comp so I'm set on that. Flanger: very lush and full sounding. I cannot find too many uses in general for a flanger but this one sounds real nice. Chorus: Warm and also lush sounding. I rarly used chorus but I am beginning to more and more since I have heard this. Beats the GT-10 choruses (stereo too) hands down. Distortion: Best distortion I have heard to date! I traded in my Tonebone Classic distortion pedal when I got this because the distortion is very tweekable and usable. There is no extra noise when engaged. It has 6 or 7 adjustments for this effect alone. OD-- Good but not the best. I use a Keeley modded sparkle Drive and prefer that. The OD is good on the Drive side but there is too much treble and it sounds a little harsh. There is a tone adjustment but for me even on 0 it's too harsh. The OD and comp are not my favorite. Delay/echo/reverb: This is a 3 in 1 effect and its worth buying the whole processor just for this! This is the best reverb I have heard yet and the delay echo adds this depth to your sound that I now cannot live without. All the effects can be mixed and I found a crazy trippy sound by mixing Delay/echo/verb with chorus and flanger mixed. There was a slight popping sound when the effects were engaged but that has been repaired by a filmware update. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The popping sound was bad at first but that has been fixed. It uses heavy duty metal switches, true bypass outputs and has a strong metal body. Moving, replacing, or adding effect modules to the processor is done on your own so there is a chance for error. You have to Slide the modules into their slots on the circut board so unlike sex, do not try to do this drunk or you can mess something up. Once set up, the processor is very reliable in my eyes. One LED for patch 2 did burn out though, but that's a $2 fix. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly jam band music mixed with rock and bluegrass. My set up is Guitar into AGP-1. True bypass out to Vodoo labs, Keeley modded sparkle Drive into Analogman Bi-Compressor (ross side) into Boss GT-10 and stereo outs to Fender Superchamp and Vox VT-50. I feel like I have every tool nessary to create a wide varity of sounds. The AGP-1 is truly a great addition to my set up and great for pure analog sounds without buying individual botique pedals. If lost I'd replace it and I can see this thing starting a new (old) revolution of Analog effects and processors. They claim to be the worlds first pure analog effects processor. // 10

AGP-1 Reviewed by: pkuban, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: Hong Kong

Ease of Use: It took quite a while to get any sound out of it. Once I happened upon the correct button press sequence, it was okay from there. The unit operates in two different modes, pedal and patch. I wanted to use it in pedal mode so I could just turn different effects on or off. I was able to get some nice sounds for the various cards (except Octaver), and was starting to enjoy playing with this unit. Then I pulled the plug to move it and lost all of my parameter settings. If there is a SAVE sequence, it is not mentioned in the manual under pedal mode (just in PATCH mode). Editing is okay once you figure it out, but it is still bothersome to have the LCD flashing/changing all the time, and with adjustments that are sometimes two levels deep in the menu structure. // 6

Sound: I have a very professional rack rig and was looking to replace my digital rack effects with this unit. The AGP-1 is very quiet. I was astounded that there is virtually no noise, even with the Metal Distortion card enabled and at high gain. That's a big plus. Also, the delay just sounds fantastic. The chorus sounds okay. The auto-wah sounds okay, but cannot compare to my real Budda Wah. Here are the things I was not happy with: The compressor/gate is very hard to adjust. It seems like it is always smushing the signal even with all controls set to zero (is that off? I don't know.) The octave pedal is horrible. For one, I cannot hear a high octave at all, just the lows. And the signal on the lows is choppy and clicks. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I was concerned straight out of the box, because the box does not sit level on the floor (you know, like a chair with one short leg, it wobbles.) Other than that, it appears to be fairly well made mechanically. I would take it to a gig without a bubba backup. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is average. I was only blown away by 2 of 6 effects, and the GUI to control those effects is obsolete/rudimentary at best. I think one could find a delay pedal that does just as good of a job for about half the price of this unit. Buyer beware - there is a "no return" policy on this unit. // 6

Comments