SansAmp GT2 review by Tech 21

Tech 21: SansAmp GT2

Purchased from: ebay

I run this through my small MG15DFX, which has an allright clean sound and plays an Ibanez RG2550EGX. My sound is now quite amazing, this lilte box as turned it into a tube amp, almost at least. The emulation of the 3 amps are really good, better than a Line 6 imo. You can get pretty much any sound out of it you want. If your amp is digital, you can get it to sound like a nice clean warm tube amp, get bluesy or just plain dark and heavy. If you want the old early Led Zeppelin (like Whole Lotta Love) or Deep Purple sound (like Smoke On The Water) sound you can get it, or if you are more into Metallica/Slayer you can get that sound too. If you are the lazy type, there is even a dedicated site at www, where you can find presets for many band and style sounds. The unit does not suck up yor tone, so you can get the most out of your guitar.

I am very exited about this litle box, it makes my sound so much better and I can play any type of music with this. It is not the best thing to gig with if you plan on playing covers of different bands, as it takes a bit of time to adjust the settings, but have you found your own tone and uses it for that, no problem. What I would have liked was the possibility to have a clean channel as well, but if you look at it strictly as a distortion/overdrive pedal, just get yourselv a tube amp and stop whineing. You can get more options from other emulating effect pedal/pads, but I prefer a smaller amount (I don't need 40+ cabintes/amp models to choose from, I prefer a smaller but more accurate set of possibilities). I can highly reccommend the SansAmp GT2, this is the closest you can come to owning a tube amp -3 in fact. I would get another one rigth away if this was lost or stolen.

I bought it used. The metal box has some scratches, but it is the sound not the looks I bought it for. It is a solid build box out of metal, and since it has surpassed at least one user before me, I guess it can survive me as weel, even though I migth take it with me in the grave.

It is fairly easy to use. There are 3 selector switches each with 3 options, so we have 27 possible settings at our hands. There is a "mic" switch, with a classic, center and off-axis setting, that emulates just that, where the recording microphone is placed. basically this defines how much mid/low range sound you get. The "mod" switch has a clean, hi-gain and a hot-wired setting. These settings emulte how much gain you add to the amp you have selected, and there is a good level of sound difference between them. The final Switch, the "amp" emulates 3 different amps, "tweed" - Fender, "brittish" - Marshall and "california" - Mesa-Boogie. There are also 4 Knobs: "level" -output volume, "high" -high EQ, "low" - low EQ and "drive" - gain/overdrive. These knobs make the 27 mods to an allmost endless amount of sound options. It has one foot-Switch to turn it etiher on or off, it has true-bypass.

bamboy727
    I am having a hard time finding the site that gives a list of settings for this pedal. Anyone know the url?