TGI-99B Review

Ease of Use: 9
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
TGI-99B Reviewed by: Woffelz, on april 27, 2011

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: This Chromatic Tuner came with 2 AAA batteries, a manual and a small cable with a "clamp" on the end of it. The clamp allows you to attach the cable to an Acoustic guitars headstock and then tune. This is very useful when you are in a noisy area. This tuner is a straight out of the box unit. It's very easy to use. I didn't even need the manual to know how to use the tuner. All you need to do is insert the batteries, insert the cable, switch it on and tune. There are 3 LEDs on it but no black light. There are 2 red LEDs with a green one in the middle. Green means the string is in tune, the left red LED means flat and the right one means it is sharp. The metronome part was where I needed the manual. You only really need to look at the manual once for this part then you won't forget. On the front of the tuner, there is a printed list of Italian terms for tempo and the BPM for them. E.g. Moderato is 108-120. Also, because there is no output jack, you have to plug in your guitar, tune, then unplug and plug into your rig/amp. // 9

Sound: You can tune from A4=435 to A4=445. I tune to drop C sometimes and this tuner does the job. I usually tune to E standard or Eb standard. There are small marking for every 5 cents and bigger marking for every 10 cents. Even though this tuner isn't as accurate as other, my tuning still sounds very fine. The metronome goes from 30bpm to 260 bpm, can play from 1/4 to 9/4 and can play a variety of rhythms, including the metal gallop rhythm, crotchets and triplets. I was disappointed with the "pop" sounds the metronome makes [POP, pop pop pop, POP...]. I find this very irritating. I prefer beeps more. Also, there is no backlight. Tuning in the dark still wouldn't be that hard because of the LEDs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The tuner/metronome is made of plastic, so I wouldn't be dropping it anytime soon. I think I would use this at a gig without a backup because I can tune by ear now. I don't have perfect pitch, but I'm close with my tuning. I only use the tuner to make sure the pitch is perfect/very near perfect. Even though there is no backlight, the LEDs are enough to tune in the dark, but I would have wanted one to make things easier. I would have liked an output jack so I could connect it to my amp/pedals. If I had lots of money and gigged often, I would go out and buy a Boss TU pedal because it is more sturdier - it's made of metal, not plastic. // 7

Overall Impression: I am quite impressed with this pedal for it's price. For only 15, I think it is a bargain, considering it's a 2 in 1 device. Before I bought this tuner, I had an unreliable 10 tuner from Argos. It wasn't even chromatic and didn't work 30% of the time. That's when I started tuning from a piano. My favourite features are the tuning feature [obviously] and the small cable and clamp that allows you to tune Acoustic guitars. My biggest annoyance was the metronome sounds. It's just not for me. Others may like it though. Just to make the tuner even more value for money, I wish it had a backlight, even though the LEDs are good enough. I would have also liked an output socket so I could connect it to my DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal. If this tuner was stolen, I would probably buy this one again. // 8

Comments