Tremble review by Tone City

Tone City: Tremble

Purchased from: Andertons

The unit is extremely easy to use, plug in, set the depth and speed at noon then adjust. There's no tap tempo, a given due to the price, but approximating the tempo with the speed knob only requires a few seconds of effort. No manual supplied or needed, and there's no power supply included so you'll need to make sure you have a spare output on your power supply or bet yourself a dedicated supply. If like me you will use the effect sparingly, you can't really get a better deal for the price and quality of build, and the effect itself.

I play an American Fender Strat, with a Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge through a Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead. I mainly play alt rock, some metal and blues. The Tremble is a no nonsense no frills tremolo pedal, mains powered only, with controls for volume, depth and speed. I've previously owned a Boss TR2, this pedal is half the price and stands up to well. There is no wave knob, so fine tuning of the effect isn't possible. I am planning on using the effect fairly infrequently, with a shallow, slow effect, so the wave function is not a deal breaker for me. What did draw me to the pedal was the volume knob - tremolo pedals are notorious for creating volume drops when engaged, so with the Tremble you can actually boost the volume to compensate for this. This is not possible on an un-modified Boss unit.

The construction is solid, especially given the low price. Sturdy metal chassis, one large knob for speed, which is quite stiff, not a bad thing as, given the diminutive size of the pedal, it wouldn't be hard to knock the knob when stomping on the on/off switch. The controls for depth and volume are much smaller. As they are black, with only a very faint marker to indicate what level they are at, adjusting these knobs at a dark gig could be tricky. I've only owned it for a few days and all seems fine, unlike some other cheap mini pedals I've owned (and swiftly returned).

The pedal produces a nice warm tremolo effect, higher speed with a medium depth is my preferred sound. It's very small and so is perfect for those with small or crowded pedal boards. I use the effect very sparingly, on say 2 out of 15 songs, so couldn't justify buying a more boutique unit for 5 times the price. All knobs and connections seem solid, I would happily buy a replacement if this was to be lost in any way. The effect is ideal for instrumental surf tracks, rhythm and blues, alternative rock, and sounds great when paired with some nice reverb.