Angry Fuzz Review

review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Angry Fuzz Reviewed by: ne14t, on june 08, 2012

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: The Visual Sound Angry Fuzz is Octave Fuzz that is fairly easy to get a decent sound out of. It has three knobs to control parameters such as Volume, Fuzz and Anger. The volume and fuzz are pretty self explanatory the Anger level is to dial in your octave effect, and of course it has a bright switch. Add a battery plug in your guitar and hold on for some nasty fuzz. 8/10: Nothing is perfect, but this little fuzz pedal does a great job for how simplistic it is, you would have to be pretty thick not to understand it. // 8

Sound: Been tested through a Marshall Haze 15 head/cab using a Epiphone Les Paul loaded with Epiphone PAF style Alnico II pickups and a Gibson Explorer with stock ceramic pickups. It was certainly a lot more harsh sounding with the Explorer but the pickups are so HOT in it that this is a common problem among all my pedals. Is it noisy? Well yes and no, it can go really loud and still retain its goodness but damn is it ever Angry when its run wide open, to the point its probably not even useable anymore. Very strong effect, it can go from a tasty no Octave Fuzz to basically having a huge bee's nest full of pissed of bee's crammed onto your head and anywhere between; however it really didn't hit what I was looking for, for a Vintage style Germanium fuzz so stay away if your looking for something like Tonebender fuzz it was just a bit more searing think Ampeg Scrambler or Fender Blender. Yeah to be honest it really didn't fit into my favorite artists as I would need a decent Tonebender circuit to get that sound, but all in all it is certainly a fun pedal, could get close to Jimi's Proctavia but I think it's still a little too searing. 7/10: The sonic assualt realm of this pedal was more then I needed so it lost a little bit of marks there, but overall a pretty versatile and effective fuzz octave, certainly worth checking out if your in the market. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank, I thought the standard hammond style case was beefy, well the Visual Sound cases are made of thicker metal and can take some abuse, I have literally stood on my Jekyll And Hyde and I am 6'2" and 220lbs. Visual Sound pedals like batteries so if your using it to gig definitely invest in a power supply or take out shares in your favorite battery company! The button is what scares most people on Visual Sound pedals, its a soft toggle so doesn't take much effort to switch on or off and most people think this is means the pedal will break fast. Visual Sound warranties 10 million stomps on that button before anything happens so fret not I have had both my Visual Sound pedals for some time now and have had zero issues. 9/10: Freaking Tank, so far the beefiest pedals I have come across come from Visual Sound, I own a couple EHX pedals a couple MXR and have man handled several other pedals and the Visual Sound ones by far take the cake at the moment for a stomp box. // 9

Overall Impression: If you looking for a searing raunchy fuzz with the option of having some octave in there then this is certainly a pedal to invest in; however if your looking for that Vintage germanium fuzz then I would probably pass on this pedal. If it were stolen I would buy another one, its a handy little tool for its small price tag. This was the second Visual Sound pedal I have gotten and it's certainly done what it claims, sometimes I wish it wasn't as raunchy as it is, but those are times to plug in the muff or something else. 8/10: Great pedal that I would certainly recommend to people looking for a fuzz octave in a reasonable price range. But don't take my word on it, get into your local guitar store and check one out. // 8

Comments