Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive review by Visual Sound

Visual Sound: Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: Ebay

I play through a Gretsch Penguin with a clean boost (Xotic RC Boost/VL Sparkle Drive) before it. I play through an AC30. The Overdrive for this pedal is very very good! I started out with this as my first pedal and could use the OD side as a clean boost, or turn the Drive right up and get that real punch. The distortion side I found a little trickier. I started out using a few presets that are given to you in the manual, they sounded quite good but it took a while before I could start playing with this side of the pedal to get a good distortion out of it. It's not a bad distortion either, although I'd be more into something like the Dark Matter distortion from TC (Which I now use). I do still use the distortion side however it's usually as an addition to the OD, having the two on together, combined with the Penguin, a little reverb and the AC30, boy oh boy is that a very good sound! I will mention that when you turn the Drive up, like most pedals, you get a little hum.

So I mostly play alternative/rock/church music (such as Hillsong), This OD is a great match for all of the above, and the Distortion is good for the alternative/rock. In short, if this were lost or stolen I would replace it, but most likely with the "Route 66" from Visual sounds, which is the Jekyll Overdrive part of the Jekyll And Hyde, but that's mostly because I've now started leaning more towards the church music and I prefer the distortion from my Dark Matter. In Summary: Wonderful Overdrive (One of the best, in my opinion) and decent distortion. I'd probably recommend the Route 66 if you're just playing soft rock or church music but otherwise it's a great pedal!

So far I've been able to depend on it, it's been 3 years and it's gone well. I don't know about the long run but I have dropped this baby a few times and it's still going strong. It's made from a good aluminium (I'm Australian) casing and I'd guess that the internals are at least a little resilient. If it does fail then I can go to my Sparkle Drive and Dark Matter, but that's generally a matter of sound, rather than reliability. I honestly can't say how it will fair in the long run but it's been good so far.

To Clarify my 7, I'll split this into two segments: Jekyll Overdrive Ease of use: 10 The Jekyll (Overdrive) side of this pedal is incredibly easy to use. Turn the tone or Drive (and volume) knobs any which way and you'll get a good sound out of it. I generally leave Tone on full, and just adjust the drive. Hyde Distortion Ease of Use: 5 I would probably give this one a lower score except for the presets that come with the pedal. I've found that this pedal takes a fair bit of tweaking to get what you want. Not something you'd want to fiddle with in the middle of a set, whereas this isn't the problem on the Overdrive side.