Route 66 V1 Review

1,912
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Route 66 V1 Reviewed by: sg4ever, on october 14, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The ease of use to speak of is quite abundant. The Overdrive has the gain, tone, volume knobs characteristic of a tubescreamer. The Compressor has sustain, tone, and gain knobs. To add to the features and usefulness, the Overdrive side has a bass boost Switch and the Compressor has a tone knob on/off switch. Despite all of the knobs and switches one has at their disposal, it is easy to tweak and use this pedal like I said. The ALL knobs straight up can pull some nice and usable sounds so we know that it's not going to be hard to match your amp if we get a ballpark sound at twelve o'clock. I know nothing about the manual because I purchased this used, but it's easy enough to tweak with just my ears as a guide. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with a Greg Bennett AV3 and a Fender MiM Strat into a Vox VT50. Even though it sounds better into a good tube amp, it still sounds nice going into a clean model on my amp like the AC30TB or Modded Clean. It can pull some nice tubescreamer sounds for bluesy stuff and classic rock, or it can get raunchy enough for newer alternative and indie/rock stuff. It even works well as a boost with the bass boost off and can tighten up the lows and clear up heavy gain. The Compressor side can either function as a typical Compressor from subtle to squished or it can be clean boost that can add mild dirt or bump solo gain up. Very cool stuff. The only thing I have problem with is the noise when combining the Compressor with any sort of gain, whether it be from the pedal or amp. The tone also gets weak after the battery starts to run low. Other than that, it handles itself nicely. Some worship guitarists have used or use this pedal which is why I got it. It has that sound I was looking for in my mild/medium gain tones, which are bright yet smooth and not too saggy. Nothing on the pedal is what I would call bad, although some people might complain about the Overdrive being a bit compressed or the noisiness of having both sides on. Oh well. You can't please them all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use it live and it works like a charm. The mids cut through nicely and the highs aren't too sharp and sit in well. The switches are all well made and the housing feels solid. I did see a video of this version and the knew version being run over by a van. Although the V2 won in terms of handling that level of abuse, I never intend to use even the smallest fraction of that rough handling. I trust this pedal to handle the simple clicks I do with my foot. It's never smart to play without a backup, but I trust this pedal to handle it during the time I don't. // 8

Overall Impression: I play literally all kinds of music. I cover clean, mild overdrive, medium gain, and high gain short of the most modern metal with music I play with other people or write. This covers the range from mild Overdrive to the lower range of medium crunch, which was my intended use for it. I've been playing for about five years and I have a Vox VT50, a Greg Bennett AV3, a Fender MiM Strat, and an MI Audio Crunch Box (also very cool). There's nothing I would have asked, because I knew about these for a while and I got it because the price was reasonable. Even though I don't hate it I have an open mind. I would hate to see something happen to it, but I would keep my options open if I had to replace it after some unfortunate mishap. There's not anything I wish it had. // 8

Comments